See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
The image top is of the Swilken Bridge on
the Old Course at
St Andrews. After 7 in the evening is the best
time to get photos of the bridge, or you on the
bridge, after the golf has finished and the sun
is round. This is the most famous golf course
in the world, said to be where golf began in
The image second top is of the British
Golf Museum opened in 1990 next to the
famous Golf Club. The Museum covers the history
of golf giving information on how golf clubs
and balls changed over the centuries.
Monument is by the Museum. This is in
honour of four Protestant men from St Andrews
that were burned to death in the 1500s for
their religious beliefs. Many people in
Scotland were converting from Catholic to
Protestant at the time.
St Andrews Aquarium is next to the Monument
with a wide variety of fish, reptiles, snakes,
penguins, and mercat. Website. Next to the
Aquarium is the Seafood Ristorante
with views over the West Sands Beach.
St Andrews Cathedral is situated by
the harbour on the east side of the town, a
short walk from the Golf Club. The Cathedral
was built from the 1150s. This was the most
important Medieval Catholic Church in Scotland,
and huge at 390 feet/119m long. You can explore
the Cathedral remains, take a tour of the
museum, and climb the 156 narrow steps to the
top of St Rule's Tower for fantastic views over
St Andrews Castle is next to the
Cathedral. The Castle was built from the 1180s
to house Bishops from the Cathedral. It was
fought over during the Wars of Scottish
Independence in the 1300s, and was the scene of
murders between Catholics and Protestants
during the Reformation in the 1500s.
The free Museum of the
University of St Andrews is situated by the
Castle on The Scores. The University was
founded between 1410 and 1414 with its museum
holding its ancient treasures. This is the
oldest University in Scotland.
Market Street runs west from the Cathedral,
one of a few scenic streets for shopping and
South Street also runs west from Cathedral
with a number of historic building, such as
Citizen Building, Town Hall, Holy Trinity
Church, Blackfriars Chapel Ruins, and St
Mary's College with the free Bell Pettigrew
Zoology Museum. St Mary's was founded in
St Andrews Museum is situated on
Doubledykes Road a 10 minute walk west along
Market Street and St Mary's Place. The Museum
is in Kinburn House built in the 1870s. The
Museum with a Cafe opened in 1991 covering the
history of St Andrews. Map.
St Andrews History
The town would have grown around the harbour
with fishing and farming.
747 - there was a high ranking church at St
Andrews sitting just above the Harbour, where
the ruins of the small Chapel of St Mary on the
Rock can be seen today.
1120s - St Rule's Church is built next to
the Chapel by St Andrews Harbour with a
100ft/33m high tower.
1158 - building of St Andrews Cathedral
begins next to St Rule's Church. This would
become the largest and most important medieval
church in Scotland at 391ft / 119m long.
1180s - St Andrews Castle is built for the
Bishops of St Andrews Cathedral.
The Cathedral, Castle and Town Walls would
have been an impressive and secure place for
1300s - St Andrews Castle is fought over by
the Scots and English during the Wars of Scottish
Independence. The castle was eventually
destroyed by the Scots to prevent English
forces from capturing it again.
1400 - St Andrews Castle was rebuild for
Bishop Walter Trail. The castle was then used
as a notorious prison, holding local criminals
and some important people of the time.
1400s early - Golf is played at St Andrews
on common ground. The Old Course built on that
ground became known as the home of golf.
1410 - the University of St
Andrews is founded as the first University
in Scotland, only Cambridge and Oxford in
England are older in the UK.
1520 - 1550s - a number of people with
Protestant beliefs were burned at the stake in
1538 - St Mary's College is founded at St
Andrews to preserve the teachings of the Roman
Catholic Church. Changing from Catholic to
Protestant had began in Europe from 1517. Henry
VIII of England adopted Protestantism in
St Mary's College has the Bell Pettigrew
1559 - the reformation to prevent Catholic
preaching spread throughout Scotland with a
Protestant mob destroying the interior of St
Andrews Cathedral that year.
1561 - St Andrews Cathedral was abandoned
with much of its stonework taken for buildings
in the town.
1754 - the Royal and Ancient Club was
founded at St Andrews to govern Golf and the
1800s - St Andrews becomes a popular holiday
destination, especially with golfers.
1873 - the Old Course at St Andrews holds
its first Open
Championship. The first 12 Opens were held
at Prestwick Golf
Club in Ayrshire that had been established
in 1851. St Andrews has held the Open about 26
times now with Tiger Woods winning in 2000 and
1892 - the first Women students were
accepted at St Andrews University.
1990 - the British Golf Museum is opened at
St Andrews next to the Old Course.
1991 - St Andrews Museum is opened in
2001 - Prince William enrolled at St Andrews
2003 - Prince William began dating Kate
Middleton at the University, they married in
2005 - Price William graduated at St Andrews
2008 - the Museum of the University
of St Andrews MUSA opens with a display of
the University ancient relics.
Today - St Andrews has about 7,000 students
each year and a large teaching staff that make
up about half the towns population of
There are vast numbers of golfers visiting
the town, they play about 230,000 rounds each
year on the 7 courses at St Andrews, with
45,000 rounds being on the Old Course.
Tourism for the historic buildings and
history adds many more visitors. Many oversees
visitors to Scotland, book coach tours that
visit St Andrews.