The image top is from the Car Park at the
small Park next to the Water of Cruden. Cruden
Bay Congregational Church seen here was built
in 1884. Many of the people now living in
Cruden Bay work in the North Sea Oil Industry,
commuting between Aberdeen or Peterhead.
A short walk round from the Church is the
Harbour and Bridge across to the long sandy
William Hay, 18th Earl of Erroll, from
Slains Castle under 1 mile northeast,
established the fishing community of Port
Erroll in the 1840s. The Settlement that grew
around the small Port became known as Cruden
The Wooden Bridge across the Water of Cruden
was built in 1922, with funds raised by local
Women, known as Ladies Bridge. That Bridge
became unsafe, leading to its closure in March
2015, with a new Bridge completed in July
The Beach at Cruden Bay is one of the top
Beaches in Scotland, running for miles south
alongside Cruden Bay Golf Course.
The Small Harbour at Cruden Bay is still
referred to as Port Errol, with a Seating Area,
Little Beach, Recreational Boats, and Small
Fishing Boats, still used for Seasonal
In the Village centre is the Kilmarnock Arms Hotel,
famous as the place Bram Stoker
stayed when he began writing his Dracula Novel
in the 1890s.
The St Olaf Hotel
is on the south side of Cruden Bay, close to
the Golf Course.
Cruden Bay Golf Club
is on the south side of Cruden Bay, with the
Original Course built in 1899 for the Great
North of Scotland Railway, designed by Old Tom
Morris of St Andrews, one of the best looking
Courses in Scotland.
St James Episcopal
Church is about 1 mile south of Cruden Bay
on Chapel Hill, completed in 1843.
Church is about 2 miles southwest of Cruden
Bay, built in the 1770s on the site of much
earlier Churches, as far back as the 1200s.
New Slains Castle is under 1 mile
northeast of Cruden Bay, thought to have
inspired Bram Stoker as he wrote his Dracula
Novel. This Castle was built from the 1500s for
the Hay Family, Earls of Erroll. The Castle
fell into ruin in 1925.
There is a Walking Trail from Cruden Bay to
the Castle, and a Car Park close to the
Buchan is a Cliff Area with a collapsed Sea
Cave 2 miles north of Cruden Bay. There is a
Path from Cruden Bay to Slains Castle, then
north to the Cliffs. There is also Parking
close to the Cliffs, where you can view Sea
Walk Pics and
Cruden Bay History
1300s - Clan Hay became the largest land
owners in the area for their support of King
Robert the Bruce, with The Bruce giving them
Castle, about 5 miles south of where Cruden
Bay is today.
1597 - Clan Hay began building New Slains
Castle, 1 mile northeast of where Cruden
Bay is today.