The Bruce awarded Clan Hay the original
5 miles south of where New Slains Castle stands
The original Slains Castle had been the
property of the Comyn's, Earls of Buchan, who
had fought against The Bruce.
1453 - Sir William Hay was made Earl of
Erroll by King James II.
1560 - the Reformation in
Scotland made Catholic Worship illegal.
Protestant Churches were then supposed to
regard the King as the head of their Churches,
leading to a number of Wars.
1585 - Francis Hay
became the 9th Earl of Erroll. Hay was involved
in Rebellions with other Nobles, trying to
restore Catholic Worship in Scotland.
1594 - Hay was declared a Traitor by King
James VI, leading to Old Slains Castle being
destroyed and Hay fleeing abroad.
1597 - Hay returned to Scotland, making
peace with the King.
Hay then began the building of the Tower of
New Slains Castle.
1820 - William Hay, 18th Earl of Erroll,
married Lady Elizabeth FitzClarence,
illegitimate daughter of King William IV.
1830s - William Hay had a Scottish Baronial
Style Mansion built around the original
1893 to 1910 - the author Bram Stoker
visited Cruden Bay on holidays.
1895 - Bram Stoker
began writing the novel Dracula while staying
at the Kilmarnock Arms Hotel
in Cruden Bay.
This Book contains reference to an Octagonal
Room in Castle Dracula, with New Slains Castle
by Cruden Bay having an Octagonal Hall.
Bram Stoker also wrote two Novels while at
Cruden Bay, The Watter's Mou' - 1895, and The
Mystery of the Sea -1902.
1913 - the 20th Earl of Erroll sold New
Slains Castle to Sir John Ellerman, of Ellerman
Lines Shipping Company.
1925 - the Roof of New Slains Castle was
removed to avoid paying Taxes.
2004 - Plans were made to restore the Castle
to be used as Holiday Apartments.
2007 - Planning Permission was granted for
New Slains Castle to be restored.
2008 - a Financial Crises hit the UK, and
most of the World, leading to plans for the
restoration of New Slains Castle being put on