The top image right shows Castle Street
leading to the town Centre where you can find
the Cathedral, Castle, Courthouse, and Old
Jail. The Market Cross can be found on the High
Street, on the north side of the Cathedral.
is now a Hotel with a large Beer Garden at the
Courthouse is now a Cafe / Diner with a
Dornoch Jail is now
shops with the small Cells used for
Dornoch Cathedral is across the road
from the Castle. The Catheral was built in the
The Historylinks Museum
can be found behind Dornoch Castle, up Castle
Close. The Museum has a large display of
Artifacts that span many centuries, and gives
information of life and work in this area from
the 1100s to present day.
The Dornoch Station
Hotel is close to the beach on Grange
Royal Dornoch Golf
Club is by the Beach, on the southeast side
of the Town. This Golf Club was formed in 1877,
and became a Royal club in 1906 through King
The Royal Golf Hotel is by
the Golf Club with its Conservatory Restaurant
having views over the course.
Park is by the Golf Course and Beach, with
a range of Caravans available for holidays, and
pitches for Touring and Tents.
By the Holiday Park, on Beach Road, is a
Garden with a Stone marking where a Witch named
Janet Horne was Burned to Death in 1727. Janet
was the last recorded person to be executed in
A short walk towards the Town centre from
the Witches Stone are the Clearances Cottages.
Around 1800, Landowners began forcing Tenant
Farmers off their land so they could begin
large scale sheep and crop farming. Many
Farmers moved to Dornoch where they built small
Cottages. This area of Dornoch is referred to
Hame Holiday Park is about 3 miles north of
Dornoch in the area known as Embo. This Holiday
Park is next to the long sandy Embo Beach, with
a range of Caravans for holidays. The Park has
a Bar Diner and large Entertainment Hall.
5000 BC - settlements were established in
this area known as Sutherland.
540 - Saint Finbarr may have arrived in
Dornoch and established a settlement. The ruins
of his Church are believed to be at the east
end of Dornoch Cathedral graveyard.
800s - Vikings took control of the Orkney
Islands and parts of the far northeast of
Scotland, encroaching on Dornoch.
1100s - Scottish Kings began pushing north
forcing the Vikings out of mainland Scotland.
Halkirk 65 miles north of Dornoch was where the
first Cathedral was built for the area.
1200s early - Halkirk Cathedral was burned
down by Farmers, killing the Bishop inside. The
Farmers riots began after the Bishop raised
The most prominent family in the area was de
Moravia, later The Mory, Murray, and
1200s early - Skibo Castle was built for the
Bishops, 4 miles west of Dornoch.
1220 - Dornoch Cathedral was built for
Bishop Gilbert de Moravia to replace Halkirk