Dunrobin Castle is situated 53 miles north
of Inverness, 12 miles north of Dornoch, on the
northeast coast of Scotland.
The Castle, Museum, and Gardens are open for
visits with an entrance fee from 1st April to
31st October, about 10.00am - 17.00pm.
Postcode: KW10 6SF.
Click On Map for area Attractions
Camping & Touring Parks in
The earliest parts of Dunrobin Castle were
built for the Earls of Sutherland in the 1200s?
The Earls of Sutherland were from Clan de
Moravia / Murray from 1210 to 1500, Clan Gordon
from 1500 to 1765, then the Leveson-Gower
family from 1765 till today.
Dunrobin Castle History
600s? - there is thought to have been a
Wooden Fort on this site.
1100s - a Flemish nobleman named Freskin
settled in Scotland during the reign of King
David I. Freskin's descendants were the de
Moravia, a name that changed through time to
Murray and Sutherland.
1230 - the Earldom of Sutherland was created
for William de Moravia. The earliest parts of
Dunrobin Castle may have been built around this
time, as William is said to have died at
1401 - the first records of Dunrobin Castle
are made stating it was a Tower House with
walls 6 feet thick.
1500s early - the Earldom of Sutherland
passed to the Gordon's through marriage.
1518 - Alexander Sutherland captured the
Castle in an attempt to return the Castle to
the Murray's. After Alexander was captured by
the Gordon's, they cut his head off so it could
be displayed on a pike from the top of the
1700s - the 17th Earl of Sutherland changed
his surname from Gordon to Sutherland.
1745 - during the Third
Jacobite Rising, the Jacobite's took
Dunrobin Castle as the Sutherland's were
supporting the British Government. The 17th Earl
escaped Dunrobin, fleeing to Aberdeen where he
joined Government Forces.
1746 - the Jacobite's were defeated at the
Battle of Culloden, last Battle on
the British mainland, leading to more peaceful
1700s late - the more peaceful times led to
many Castles being converted to Mansions, or
Mansions built on the Estate with the Castles
1772 - the Sutherland's began forcing small
scale Tenant Farmers off their Land so they
could experiment with larger scale Sheep and
1785 - Elizabeth Sutherland married George
Granville Leveson-Gower, leading to the
Leveson-Gower's becoming the Dukes and
Duchesses of Sutherland.
1807 - Elizabeth
Sutherland had about 300 farmers removed to
make way for the first large Sheep Farm in the
area. These acts became known as the Clearances
with thousands of people forced to move to
Towns and Cities, or to Emigrate to the
1835 to 1850 - the 2nd Duke of Sutherland
had Dunrobin Castle remodeled in the Scottish
Baronial style to designs of Sir Charles
Barry. Sir Charles was famous for designing
the Palace of Westminster / House of Commons in
The New Buildings were built around the
original Tower House.
1870 - the Dunrobin Castle Railway Station
was opened as a private station for the Castle.
This Rail Line runs between Inverness and
1915 - the Castle was used as a Naval
1965 to 1972 - the Castle was used as a
Boarding School for boys.
1973 - Dunrobin Castle, Museum, and Gardens
were opened to the public. The Sutherland
family still live at the Castle in Private
2007 - a Clearances
Monument was erected at Helmsdale Village
16 miles north of Dunrobin Castle.