Finlaystone Country Estate is 7 miles east
of Greenock, 4 miles east of Port
Glasgow, 18 miles west of Glasgow.
Finlaystone was built from the late 1300s as
a Castle for Sir John Dennistoun, with the
Mansion built around the Castle in 1764, with
the Mansion remodeled in 1903.
The Estate, Cafe, and Kids Play can be
visited throughout the year with a small
entrance fee. Check the website for visiting
times. Postcode: PA14 6TJ
For Images on Mobile swipe right
Click On Map for area
Attractions
The image top is Finlaystone Mansion House,
a short walk from the car park by going through
the Walled Garden where there is a Cafe and
Apple Trees.
The house is Private, can only be visited
certain days or for Weddings.
Past the house, about 300 yards, is the
animal park with Llamas, Pygmy Goats and
Shetland Ponies.
On the east side of the Car Park, is a vast
Woodland with many Paths, Waterfalls, Pond,
Barbecue areas, and Kids Play with a wooden
castle and pirate ship.
Estate Map
Finlaystone History
1300s late - King Robert II granted the
lands of Finlaystone to Sir John de
Danyelstoun, later Dennistoun, with a Castle
built on the land soon after.
1399 - Sir Robert Dennistoun of Finlaystone
Castle died, leading to the Estate being
divided in two for his daughters.
Margaret inherited Finlaystone with her
marrying Sir William Cunningham in 1405.
Elizabeth inherited the west part of the
Estate with her marrying Robert Maxwell in
1402.
1470s - Newark Castle Tower was built for
George Maxwell, 4 miles west of Finlaystone
Castle.
1764 - the Cunningham's had a Mansion built
around the original Finlaystone Castle.
1796 - John Cunningham died with Finlaystone
passing to his cousin Robert Graham.
1862 - Finlaystone was sold to Sir David
Carrick-Buchanan.
1882 - Finlaystone was sold to George
Jardine Kidston.
1900 - the Walled Garden was built to grow
fruit and vegetables, with the high walls
containing heat and blocking cold wind, making
great growing conditions.
1903 - the Mansion was remodeled by the
architect John James Burnet in Scots Baronial
style.
1929 - Kidston's granddaughter Marian
married General Sir Gordon
MacMillan with Finlaystone being in the
MacMillan family from then to this day.
1975 - Finlaystone grounds were opened to
the public with a small entrance fee.
Weddings have
been taking place at Finlaystone from around
1975 with the front lawn used for large
Marquees.
|