Greenock is a town on the south side of the
River Clyde in Scotland, 27 miles west of
Glasgow.
The town is popular for Lyle Hill Viewpoint,
Highland Mary Grave, Cruise Ship Terminal, Bus
Tours from the Cruise Terminal, Cathcart Square
buildings, Fire Brigade Museum by the Square,
Horse Sculpture on Cathcart Street by the
Square, Well Park above the Square, Mclean
Museum a half mile walk southwest of the
Square, Shipbuilders Statues 3 miles east,
Newark Castle 3 miles east, and Finlaystone
House & Gardens 7 miles east.
For Images on Mobile swipe right
Click on Map for Area
Attractions
The image top right is of the Lyle Hill
Viewpoint high above Greenock, with views over
Greenock, Gourock to the west, and Dunoon
across the River Clyde. Lyle is the name of a
wealthy family that imported sugar from the
1800s.
You can take a car or passenger ferry from
Gourock to Dunoon.
Round from the Viewpoint is the Greenock
Cemetery with the Highland Mary Grave and Blitz
Memorial for when Gourock was attacked during
World War Two with 271 people killed. Map
The Greenock Ocean
Terminal is by the Town centre, with many
Cruise Ships visiting throughout the year, up
to 150,000 tons and over 1,000 feet long. There
is a free Art Gallery and large Restaurant at
the Terminal.
Local Tour
Buses depart from the Ocean Terminal in
summer, normally when there is a Cruise Ship
there.
Along the Quay from the Cruise Ships is the
Waterfront Leisure
Complex with Swimming, Gyms and an Ice
Rink.
Just Past the Leisure Complex is the
Beacon Arts
Centre with a Cafe and Bar with views over the
Clyde. The Beacon is where the Music Concerts
are held.
Next to the Beacon is the Greenock Custom
House built in 1818. Large Images
and Info.
Cathcart Square is the centre of Town close
to the Cruise Terminal with the 75m / 245ft
high Victoria Tower completed in 1889.
Next to the Tower is the Well Park Mid Kirk
/ Church, built in 1760 with the Steeple added
in 1787.
Either side of the Church are the small
Cathcart Street Massacre Memorial and the The
Men of the Clyde Sculpture.
Round Behind the Victoria Tower is the
Scottish Fire Brigades Heritage Trust Museum.
Ginger the Horse Sculpture is a short walk
down Cathcart Street by the Square, in honour
of a Heavy Horse that worked at the Docks in
1889. Large Images
and Info.
Cathcart Street is where the Port Glasgow
Militia fired on a crowd in Cathcart Street,
killing at least eight people in 1820, during a
Political protest. Large Images
and Info.
Cathcart Street is where the Wetherspoon Bar
Diner is in the Old Post Office building from
1899. Large Image
Well Park with a large War Memorial is above
Cathcart Street. Well Park is where a Mansion
House of the Shaw family was up to 1886, a
family that helped build the first Harbour at
Greenock.
The McLean Museum
is a half mile walk, drive or the Tour Buses
visit, from Cathcart Square. This Museum covers
Archeology, Natural Sciences, Fine Art, Social
History and more.
The Shipbuilders Statues are 3 miles east of
Greenock centre in Port Glasgow, in Coronation
Park, by John McKenna, unveiled in June 2023 in
honour of the men that built ships in the area,
10m / 33ft high. Large Image and
Info.
Newark Castle is just past the
Shipbuilders Statues open for visits much of
the summer, built from 1478 for George Maxwell,
Baron of Finlaystone.
The Shipbuilders Statues and Newark Castle
are visited by the Greenock Open Top Tour
Buses.
Greenock and Port Glasgow are joined with
many large Shopping Stores, MacDonald's and
Burger King in the area between them.
Finlaystone House & Gardens
are 7 miles east of Greenock, with the Gardens
and Cafe open most of the year, with the
Mansion built from the 1760s for the
Cunningham's, now owned by the MacMillan
family.
Greenock History
The towns of Gourock, Greenock and Port
Glasgow grew side by side till they merged.
The towns grew around farming, fishing and
shipping trade from the 1100s.
1296 - Hugh de Greenock was a Scottish Baron
with land in the area.
1500s - Easter Greenock
Castle was built for the Crawford's from
Ayrshire who took over lands of Hugh de
Greenock. This Castle ruin was demolished in
1865 to make way for the Railway.
1500s - the Shaw family became the Barons of
Greenock through marriage, building a Mansion
in Greenock where Well Park is today.
1591 - the Old West Kirk was built in
Greenock centre.
1710 - Sir John Shaw
and friends raised funds to build Greenock
Harbour.
1711 - John Scott and
Company began building small boats at Greenock
such as Herring Boats for the local Fishing
Industry. There were soon a number of Ship Yards
between Greenock and Port Glasgow.
1736 - Rope Making
began in the three towns, soon becoming one of
the largest Rope Making areas in the world.
1786 - Highland Mary
died in Greenock with her buried at the Old
West Kirk. She was best known for her affair
with Robert Burns the poet. She was born in
Dunoon just across the Clyde.
1809 - East India Harbour was opened at
Greenock for trade such as herring, iron ore,
flour, timber, wheat, tobacco, and sugar.
1839 - the first Sail Ships from Trinidad
arrived at Greenock with Sugar, with up to 400
per year by the late 1800s.
1850 - the first Sugar Refinery was built at
Greenock.
1850 - Victoria Harbour opened at
Greenock.
1886 - James Watt Dock was opened at
Greenock, mainly for the expanding Sugar trade
and Wool.
1903 - Ferguson Marine shipbuilders opened
at Port Glasgow.
1926 - the Old West Kirk
was moved a short distance west to the
Esplanade to make way for Shipbuilding.
Many of the Graves were moved around that
time to Greenock Cemetery high above the town,
including the grave of Highland Mary.
1954 - the first Car Ferries began operating
between Gourock and Dunoon, there is now a Car
Ferry and Passenger Only Ferry running.
1964 - Inchgreen Graving
Dock was built at Greenock as the largest
in the World at that time, for fitting out
liners such as the 65,000 ton QE2 and
Supertankers.
1969 - the largest ship ever built in
Scotland was launched at the Scott Yard in Port
Glasgow, Naess
Enterprise, a 133,000 ton tanker.
1969 - the Container Ship Terminal opened at
Greenock, leading to the end of many
conventional Cargo Ships as Container Ships can
be loaded / unloaded in hours rather than
days.
1976 - the Gourock Rope Works in Port
Glasgow closed with the huge building converted
to flats in 2008.
1979 to 1984 - the last Ship Builders closed
at Greenock such as Cartsdyke, Cartsburn, and
Scott's.
1994 - the first Cruise Ship docked at
Greenock, the Southern Cross
at 20,204 tons, 604m / 604ft long.
1997 - the Tate & Lyle Refinery closed,
the last in the area, leading to the James Watt Dock
being converted to a Marina.
2008 - work began on the vast James Watt
Dock Sugar Warehouse, converting it for
Businesses.
2015 - Ferguson Marine
began building two large Ferries for Caledonian
MacBrayne for the Troon or Ardossan to the Isle
of Arran route.
The first Ferry took until 2025 to be
completed due to financial and technical
issues.
Ferguson Marine is the last Shipbuilders in
the area.
2023 - the new Greenock Ocean Terminal
building opened with a shop, museum and
restaurant.
2023 - The Ship Builders of Port Glasgow
monument was erected in honour of the men that
worked in the industry. The large Rope Works
factory is across the road from the
Monument.
2025 - Regal Princes began visiting Greenock
at 142,000 tons and 330m / 1,082ft long, one of
the largest of the Ultra Large Cruise Ships now
visiting with tours popular such as from
Southampton England, Cobh / Cork Ireland,
Dublin Ireland, Belfast Northern Ireland,
Liverpool England, Greenock / Glasgow Scotland,
Invergordon / Inverness Scotland, and Edinburgh
Scotland.
|