A track through these Mountains would have
been made many centuries back.
500s - a Monastic building is believed to
have been built on the small Island on Loch
1200s - the earliest parts of Eilean
Donan Castle were built for King Alexander
II on the small Island on Loch Duich to prevent
Vikings from traveling though Glen Shiel to
raid the Highlands of Scotland.
1262 - King Alexander III of Scotland
invaded the Isle of Skye to free the Island
from Viking control.
Clans given control of Eilean Donan Castle
so they could keep peace in the area included
McKenzie and Macrae.
1719 May 11th - Eilean Donan Castle was
destroyed by cannon from Government Ships
during the Jacobite Risings.
1719 June 10th - the Battle of Glen
Shiel takes place with Government Forces
defeating the Jacobite's. The famous Jacobite
MacGregor was injured during the
1746 - the Jacobite's were defeated at the
Battle of Culloden, the last battle
1755 - a Military Road was built between
Fort William, Fort Augustus, and Bernera Barracks 9 miles west
of Shiel Bridge. This road passed through Glen
Shiel linking these Government strongholds,
allowing large numbers of Government Troops to
be easily moved between the Forts to keep the
Jacobite's under control.
1932 - Eilean Donan Castle was rebuilt for
John MacRae-Gilstrap to serve as his family
1955 - Eilean Donan Castle was opened to the
public as a tourist attraction.
1960 - the author Gavin Maxwell moved to
Sandaig where he wrote the book Ring of Bright
Water. Sandaig is an extremely remote area
13 miles southwest of Shiel Bridge, Map IV40
1968 - Maxwell's cottage at Sandaig burned
down, leading to him moving to the Lighthouse
Cottages on Eilean Ban Island at the Kyle of
1969 - Gavin Maxwell died, leading to the
Island being run by the Eilean Ban Trust. Tours of the
Island can be arranged through the website.
1995 - the Sky Bridge was completed at the
Kyle of Lochalsh, about 1,640 ft / 500m in
length. Part of the Bridge was built on Eilean