Kirkmadrine Church & Stones
Kirkmadrine Church & Stones are about 2
miles southwest of Sandhead village in Dumfries
and Galloway, 14 miles north of the Mull of
Galloway, furthest south point in
These two attractions are often visited one
after the other, as they are on the same
Map / DG9 .
Click On Map for area
Camping & Touring Parks in
The road to the Church is follow the main
A716 road 1 mile south of Sandhead, turn right
at the Church Sign onto a single lane road,
after one mile park next to the Church Gates
there is then a 300 yard walk up a tree lined
Path to the Church.
The Building seen today was built in the
late 1800s as Mortuary Chapel for the
MacTaggart Stewart's of Ardwell.
The Chapel was built on the site of the much
earlier Kirkmadrine Church, and there may have
been a Monastery here from as far back as the
There are a number of Stones on display at
the west end of the Church behind glass. These
were discovered in the early 1800s around the
ruins of the Old Church.
These Stones date from the 400s to 1100s AD.
Three of the Stones are among the oldest
Christian Monuments in Scotland, with the rare
symbol of a Chi-Rho Cross.
The oldest Stone on the left has
inscriptions in Latin commemorating two priests
- Viventius and Mavorius.
The large Memorial Cross next to the Church
is for John McTaggart that died in 1810.