1830 - the 85ft high lighthouse was built by
Robert Stevenson, known as Stevenson Tower.
2004 - Gallie Craig cafe/restaurant
was built next to Cliffs close to the
Lighthouse. The Cafe has exceptional views
towards Cumbria, Isle of Man and Ireland.
2013 - the Galloway Trust purchased the
Lighthouse land and buildings, apart from the
tower, from the Northern Lighthouse Board. The
buildings now serve as a Museum with Tours to
the top of the Tower giving amazing views in
The Museum gives information on the
Lighthouse, fog horn, machinery, and the people
that worked there. Check the website above for
the Museum opening times throughout the
There are also Apartments at the Lighthouse
available for Holidays.
By the Lighthouse is the RSPB Visitor
Centre, giving information on local
Wildlife such as Porpoises, Dolphins, Atlantic
Grey Seals, Minke Whales, Otters and many
species of Birds such as Black Guillemot,
Kittiwake, Peregrine, and Puffin.
By the RSPV Visitor Centre is the furthest
south point in Scotland. There are notice
boards here giving information on Wildlife and
Smuggling in the area.