The image top is of the the main A77 Road
entering Stranraer from the north. The North
West Castle Hotel is situated here, and the
vast Harbour area to the right.
The North West Castle is popular for Meals
and its Fitness Centre.
The last Ireland Ferry Service was moved
from Stranraer to Cairnryan 6 miles north in
2011. This led to the Port Area being
transformed into a Leisure Area with a Marina,
an Inner Harbour for Fishing Boats, and a large
car park for Tourists.
The Town centre is a short walk from the
Port, with the Castle of St John being the most
Stranraer has the most Shops and Hotels in
the area, the rest of the Mull of Galloway is
one of the least populated areas in
The image right is of the Sheriff Court on
Lewis Street, with St Ninians Church next to
The Stranraer Museum is an interesting place
to view the history of the area. The Museum is
housed in the Old Town Hall in the town centre.
The Town Hall was completed in 1776.
The Museum covers Ancient Artifacts, Early
Farming and Fishing, Household Items, and
Explorers from the Area.
Stranraer has two Beaches, one at Agnew Park
on the south side of Town, and Cockle Shore as
seen bottom on the north side.
Agnew Park has a Kids Play, Train Rides,
Kart Hire, Boat Hire on the Lake, and the
modern Driftwood Restaurant.
1511 - the Castle of St John is built at
Stranraer with the Town growing around it.
1600s - Stranraer became the main Market
Town for the area.
1760s - a Military Road linked Stranraer to
Dumfries and the port Village of Portpatrick
7 miles southwest, with the road being used for
Transferring Cattle between Ireland and