The Macquarie Mausoleum is on the west side
of the Isle of Mull by the very small village
of Gruline, 14 miles northwest of the main
ferry port of Craignure, 13 miles southwest of
Tobermory. Postcode: PA71 6HS
Click on Map for area Attractions
Camping & Touring Parks in
The image top is of the car park next to the
main road with about a one mile walk from the
car park to the Mausoleum.
The Mausoleum is in a Country Estate with a
wall all around, for Lachlan Macquarie and his
Family, who helped establish much of New South
Wales in Australia.
1400s - the Macquarie family owned the
Islands of Ulva, Gometra, Staffa, and a large
Estate on Mull.
1761 - Lachlan Macquarie was born on the
small Island of Ulva, next to Mull.
1776 - he joined the Army, serving in North
America, Egypt, and India, eventually becoming
1793 - he married Jane Jarvis in Bombay /
1796 - Jane died of Tuberculosis in Macao /
1807 - Macquarie married Elizabeth Henrietta
Campbell, daughter of John Campbell of
1808 - he founded the Village of Salen on
1808 - his 3 month old daughter Jane
1809 to 1821 - he was Governor-General of
New South Wales in Australia.
Along with his Wife, they helped Convict
Settlements to build new prosperous lives in
While Governor-General in Australia, he
opened up the whole of the eastern seaboard,
with many places named after his Family such as
Macquarie River, Lachlan River, Mount
Macquarie, Lake Macquarie, Macquarie Pass, and
1814 - their son Lachlan was born.
1821? - ill health and bickering from
Politicians, led to Macquarie returning to the
UK with his wife and son Lachlan.
1824 - Macquarie died in London with his
body returned to Mull for burial.
The Mausoleum at Jarvisfield is said to have
been built by the Drummond's, a family with
connections to the Macquarie's, who had taken
control of the Macquarie Estate on Mull.
1835 - Elizabeth died at Gruline House on
Mull, leading to her being laid to rest in the
Mausoleum with her Husband and Daughter.
1845 - their son Lachlan died with him being
laid to rest in the Mausoleum as well.
1948 - the Mausoleum site was gifted by Lady
Yarborough, owner of the Jarvisfield estate, to
the people of New South Wales through the Royal
Australian Historical Society.
2002 - the National Trust for Scotland, with
funding by the Macquarie Bank in Australia,
restored the Tomb and surrounding ground.