logo image


RS Home

Peebles is a town in the Borders region in southeast Scotland, 22 miles south of Edinburgh.

Peebles is popular for its Riverside Walks with the north walk having views of the private owned Neidpath Castle under 2 miles out, Old Parish Church on the High Street, Tweeddale Museum on the High Street, Old Cross Kirk half of a mile northeast of the centre, St Andrews Tower half of a mile northwest of the centre, Peebles Hydro Hotel 1 mile southeast, Glentress Forest for mountain biking 3 miles southeast, Go Ape at Glentress, Kailzie Gardens 3 miles south, Traquair House 7 miles southwest, Scotland's oldest inhabited house, and Dawyck Botanic Garden 8 miles northwest.

For Images on Mobile swipe right

Town Map 62 Large Images
Hotels B&Bs Self Catering
Golf Shops Restaurants

Click On Map for area Attractions

Camping & Touring Parks in area

The image top is of the vast car park on the west side of the River Tweed with Kids Play, Riverside Walks and great views over the Town.

The Market Cross is on the south side of the High Street with the Old Parish Church at the north end. The 500 year old Market Cross has been moved about over the years and had sections renewed. It is now close to where it was originally built.

The Old Parish Church was completed in 1887 with some features retained from an earlier Church on this site.

The Tontine Hotel is on the High Street with the Memorial Fountain in front. The Hotel was built in 1808 by French Prisoners of War.

The Memorial Fountain was built in 1898 in memory of John Veitch - Philosopher, Poet and Professor of Logic at St Andrews University.

The Tweeddale Museum, Art Gallery, and Library is also on the High Street, with the Peebles War Memorial behind the Museum. The Museum covers the History of the Town through the Wool Industry and Wars. The Wool Mills began closing in the 1960s, with the last one closing in 2015.

The Museum is in the Chambers Institution, a complex of buildings gifted to the people of Peebles in 1859 by William Chambers, who founded the publishing firm W. & R. Chambers Publishers with his brother Robert.

The Old Cross Kirk is under half of a mile walk north of the High Street with the earliest parts built in the 1200s. The Kirk is known as the place where a Cross and Relics of St Nicholas of Myrna were discovered in 1261. St Nicholas of Myrna lived in the area of modern day Turkey in the 300s, it is unknown how his Relics became hidden at Peebles. Kirk Map

St Andrews Tower is by Hay Lodge Park next to the main road half of a mile northwest of the Town centre. The Tower is what is left of St Andrew's Parish Church from 1195. This site is thought to be where earlier Churches from as far back as the 600s were situated. There are many old Grave Stones with strange carvings around the Tower. Tower Map

Neidpath Castle is under 1 mile from St Andrews Tower by walking through Hay Lodge Park and alongside the River. You can also follow a Riverside Path out from the Town centre.

Neidpath Castle was built in the late 1300s for the Hay family. The Castle is now owned by the Earl of Wemyss.

Peebles Golf Club is on the North side of the Town, founded in 1892.

Peebles Hydro is 1 mile south of the Town centre. The Hotel opened in 1881 to provide Water Cures for Pain and Illness, with some Treatments said to be like Torture. The Hotel had to be rebuilt in 1907 after a fire. Today, the Hydro is popular with Families, having a number of Activities for Children. Wiki History.


RS Home


Peebles Photos