Traquair House is situated 8 miles
southeast of the Borders Town of Peebles,
29 miles south of Edinburgh, by the small Village
Traquair House is popular for tours of
the House, Gardens, Maze, Walled Garden
with a Cafe, Brewery, and a Leather and
The House and Gardens are open 1st Apr
- 30th Jun 11am - 5pm, 1st Jul - 31st Aug
10am - 5pm, 1st Sep - 30th Sep 11am -
5pm, 1st Oct - 31st Oct 11am - 4pm,
November (Weekends Only) 11am - 3pm .
Postcode: EH44 6PW.
See also a large Click On Map for the area Towns and
The image top is of Traquair House from the
long avenue of trees. This is claimed to be the
oldest inhabited house in Scotland, with the
earliest parts dating to 1107, visited by 27
Kings and Queens, and lived in by the Stuart
family since 1491.
Traquair House History
1100s early - the house is built for
Scottish Kings as a Palace and Hunting Lodge,
with a vast forest around the house.
King of Scotland 1107–1124, was the first Royal
to stay and hunt at Traquair.
1286 - King Alexander III of Scotland died
without leaving an Heir, leading to the English
sending forces into Scotland to take control, a
time known as the Wars of Scottish
Independence, that took place on and off
This time saw Traquair change hands a number
of times between the English and Scots.
Both King Edward I, and Edward II of
England, are said to have stayed at Traquair
during their military campaigns in
1300s - King Robert the Bruce awarded the
lands of Traquair to Sir James Douglas, with
the lands later passing to the Boyd's.
1460s - Traquair was taken back by the
1460s late - King James III of Scotland
gifted Traquair to one of his favourite
musicians, Dr. William Rogers.
1478 - Dr. Rogers sold Traquair to James
Stuart, 1st Earl of
Buchan. The Earl was the uncle of King
1491 - The Earl gifted the estate to his
illegitimate son, James Stuart, 1st Laird of
1513 - James was killed at the Battle of
Flodden, just over the border between
Scotland and England, a Battle over Scotland
attacking England to help their allies the
French. King James IV of Scotland and many
Nobles were killed in the battle.
1566 - Mary Queen of Scots stayed at
Traquair with her husband Lord Darnley and 3
month old son James. Mary had been invited by
John Stuart, 4th Laird of Traquair, to hunt
Stags. The cradle Mary used for her son James
can still be viewed in the King's Room. The 4th
Laird was Captain of the Queen’s bodyguard.
1500s late - 1600s early - Traquair house
was enlarged by an addition to the Tower, and
another floor to the House.
1560 - Catholic worship was outlawed in
Scotland, with the Stuart's of Traquair
remaining Catholic in secrete.
1695 - Traquair house had the two side wings
added, leading to the house seen today.
1738 - the Bear Gates at the main entrance
were installed for the 5th Earl of Traquair,
1745 - Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince
Charlie) passed through the Bear Gates when
visiting the area to recruit support for his
invasion of England. The Earl then vowed they
would not be opened again until a Stuart King
was returned to the throne.
The 5th Earl was imprisoned in the Tower of
London for a time, as a Jacobite supporter.
1746 - the Battle of Culloden ended with
the defeat of Bonnie Prince Charlie and his
Jacobite army, ending any hope of the Stuart's
being returned to the throne.
1829 - a Roman Catholic Chapel was built in
the House after the laws against Catholic
worship had been relaxed.
1875 - Lady Louisa Stewart, sister of the
8th and last Earl of Traquair, died at 99 years
of age. Her Ghost has been sighted in the
1875 - Traquair passed to Henry Constable
Maxwell, a cousin of the Stuart's via the
female line, with him adding Stuart to his
1963 - 20th Laird, Peter Constable Maxwell
Stuart, and his wife Flora, open Traquair to
1965 - the Traquair House Brewery was opened
by Peter Maxwell Stuart, using 1700s brewing
equipment used to make beer for the house, with
the main brand being Jacobite Ale.
1970 - the film Tam Lin was
filmed at Traquair, starring Ava Gardner,
Joanna Lumley, Stephanie Beecham, and Ian
1990 - Cathrine Constable Maxwell Stuart
becomes the 21st Laird, continuing to run
Traquair as a visitor attraction.