The historic St
Giles from the 1100s on the Royal Mile in
Edinburgh centre, serves as the top Protestant
Presbyterian Church of Scotland.
St Mary's Catholic
Cathedral, completed in 1814 on York Place
in Edinburgh centre, serves as the the top
Catholic Church in Scotland.
Construction of St Mary's Episcopal was
funded by the spinster Sisters Barbara and Mary
Walker in 1873. They owned Drumsheugh Estate
with the Cathedral being built on Estate
Easter Coates House of Drumsheugh Estate is
situated to the north of the Cathedral. The
Sisters were granddaughters of Rev George
Walker, an Episcopal Minister in the 1700s.
St Mary's was designed by Sir George Gilbert
Scott, an English Gothic Revival Architect that
specialized in Churches and Cathedrals.
The Foundation Stone was laid on the 21st
May 1874 containing a copy of the Trust Deed,
Edinburgh Post Office Directory, Newspapers,
The Twin Spires at the southwest side main
entrance are known as Barbara and Mary, after
the Walker Sisters. Work on the Spires began in
1913 with completion in 1917.