Sweetheart Abbey is at the south side of New
Abbey Village, as seen top right, with the
Tearoom next to the Abbey.
The New Abbey Corn Mill and
Abbey Arms Hotel are
on the north side of the Village, with the Corn
Mill another Top Attraction in the area.
1275 - Sweetheart Abbey was a Cistercian
Monastery originally named Abbey of Dulce Cor,
Latin for Sweet Heart.
The Abbey was founded by Lady Dervorguilla
in memory of her husband, Baron John de
Dervorguilla was the daughter of the
wealthy Alan, Lord of Galloway.
1268 - Baron John de Balliol died when he
was about 60 years old. Lady Dervorguilla then
kept his Embalmed Heart in a Casket of ivory
and silver until she died in 1290.
The Casket was buried alongside her in her
Tomb inside the Abbey.
Their son John was King
of Scotland from 1292 to 1296. He was accused
of being controlled by the English, leading to
the Wars of Scottish Independence, and him
being forced to Abdicate.