Annan Harbour is on the south side of the
Town, where there used to be Shipbuilding and
lot of Industry Exports, but is now mainly used
for local Fishing Boats in the vast Solway
Firth, with the fish sold World Wide. There is
a Seafood Shop at the Harbour: dgseafoods.co.uk
There is a Burns Cairn
south of the Harbour at Waterfoot, as far as
the road goes past the Harbour, about 1 mile,
as the famous Poet - Robert Burns was an
Exciseman (Tax Collector) in this area in the
late 1700s, a time Smuggling was big business
in Scotland, such as Salt, Tea and Tobacco.
There is also a Walk around the
Harbour and Solway Firth.
1100s - the Moat of Annan was a Castle built
where Annan is today for the Bruce Family, who
became Lords of Annandale in 1124. You can find
the Moat close to the Car Par by Bruce Steet,
next to the River Annan.
1332 - the Battle of Annan
took place between the forces of Robert the
Bruce and the Balliols during the Second War of
Scottish Independence, with the Bruce forces
1538 - King James V granted a Charteer to
make Fishing out of
Annan legal, it had been going on for many
hundreds of year before that time. Top catches
in the Solway Firth are cockles, crabs, flat
white fish, herring, lobsters, oysters, salmon
1707 - Taxes were imposed on most products
being imported into Scotland, such as Tea and
Tobacco, leading to Smuggling around Scotland
with Annan being a top location with the vast
Solway Firth ideal for Smuggling.
1745 - the Jacobites led by Bonnie Prince
Charlie stayed at Annan on their return from an
attack into England, with Charlie staying at
the Buck Inn on the High Street, at number
1775 - Immigration from Annan to Canada led
to New Annan being
developed at Prince Edward Island in Canada.
There are also areas in the US, Australia and
New Zealand named after Annan.
1791 - Robert Burns, the famous Scottish
Poet, began working as an Exiseman (Tax
Collector) in the Dumfries and Annan area.
1800s - a number of Textile Mills were
opened in Annan, with many workers working from
home using small machines.
1800s - Corsehill Quarry 4 miles northwest
of Annan was opened to produce a hard wearing
Red Sandstone, used in local buildings as well
as being exported from Annan for top buildings
in Glasgow, Edinburgh, London and New York in
1836 - the Annandale Whisky Distillery was
opened by George Donald 1 mile northeast of
1850 - the Annan Railway Station opened as
part of the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle
The Railway led to Annan selling products
around the UK such as cured hams, cattle,
cotton goods, grain, ropes, salmon and
1850s - the first Boats were built at Annan
at about 20ft in length, soon building 1000-ton
Tea Clippers, for
the crossings between the UK and China or India
taking around 100 days each way.
1865 - the last of the Great Clippers was
built at Annan, the 934 ton, 195ft long Sarah
1866 - Robert Robinson began making Provost
Oats in a Windmill at Annan, exporting their
Oats around the World.
1869 - the 1 mile long Solway Viaduct
was built at Annan for the Railway to transport
Iron Stone from south of Annan to the Coal Rich
areas of Ayrshire and Lanarkshire to be Smelted
into Iron. This line closed in 1921, little
remains of the Viaduct.
1878 - Annan Town Hall was built of a local
hard wearing red sandstone, with most of the
buildings on the High Street also being built
from that time with the red sandstone.
1897 - Cochran Boilers moved from Birkenhead
to Annan, with the Company becomming a top
world wide exporter of Cochran Boilers.
1959 - Chapelcross Nuclear Power Station
opened 2 miles northeast of Annan, capable of
creating enough power for 200,000 homes.
2004 - Chaplecross Nuclear Power Station
closed. It is expected to take until 2028 for
the site to be cleared.