Brodie Castle is situated 6 miles east of
4 miles west of Forres, on the Moray Coast
road, built from 1567 for Clan Brodie.
The Castle and Playful Gardens can be
visited, 1 Mar - 30 Jun 10.00 – 18.00 summer,
10.00–16.00 winter, closed 25 & 26 Dec and
1 Jan. Postcode: IV36 2TE
Click On Map for area Attractions
Camping & Touring Parks in
The Playful Gardens visits allow you to view
the Castle Exterior, Gardens, Cafe, and Kids
Play with an entrance fee. Tours of the Castle
Interior are by a Guide with an entrance
The image top is of the Rodney Stone at the
entrance to the Castle.
The second image is from the walk from the
Car Park to the Castle. The lands here were
awarded to the Brodie's in the 1100s, with the
Castle seen today built from the 1500s, and
Mansion built onto the east side from the
Brodie Castle History
1160 - King Malcolm IV is said to have
awarded this Estate to the Brodie Clan, with
them building an early Castle on the land.
1567 - the earliest parts of the Brodie
Castle seen today were built, probably on the
site of a much earlier Castle.
1645 - Lewis Gordon of Clan Gordon, set
Brodie Castle on fire during the Wars of
Religion. Gordon supported the Royals at this
time, and the Brodie's supported the
Parliamentarians. The Castle was re-built soon
1700s - the Brodie's fought on the
Government side during the Jacobite
Risings, with the Battle of
Culloden being the final defeat of the
Jacobite's in 1745, 20 miles east of Brodie
After a major Battle, Kings would normally
have taken Estates off Clans that fought
against them, so as to award them to Clans that
fought for the Royals. Culloden was different,
as many Jacobite Clans had their Estates taken
to be sold at Auction, raising money for the
Clans that fought with the Royals at
Culloden, were rewarded with Titles and wealth
through High Profile Jobs.
Culloden was the last Battle in the UK,
leading to safer times, with Landowners then
building large Mansion Houses, some close to
their Castles, some built onto or around the
1824 to 1845 - a large Mansion House in the
Scots Baronial style was built onto the east
side of Brodie Castle.
1830s - the Rodney Stone
was moved to the entrance of Brodie Castle.
This is a Pictish Stone from around the 800s,
discovered in a Church Yard close by in
1980 - the National Trust for Scotland took
over the Castle to be used as a Tourist
1990s - Brodie Countryfare
opened close to the entrance of Brodie Castle,
with a Restaurant and Shops.
2003 - Ninian Brodie died, the last Brodie
to live in the Castle.