Burntisland is a Town in the Fife area of
Scotland 22 miles north of Edinburgh, via
the Firth of Forth Road Bridge.
The Town is popular for its Beach with a
Leisure Centre, vast Links Park that holds
Highland Games in late July and a Summer
Fairground, Museum in the Library, House Mary
Somerville lived in, and Old Parish Church.
Click On Map for Area
Camping & Touring Parks in
The image top is of the Burntisland War
Memorial at the north end of the High
The second image is of the Fountain at the
north end of the High Street, at the entrance
to Links Park.
The third is looking down the High Street
with the Town Hall in the middle. The earliest
parts of the Town Hall were built in 1598. That
building was rebuilt in 1843, with little left
of the original.
Next to the Town Hall is the Library and
the Free Museum giving information on the Towns
At the south end of the High Street is the
Harbour, with Rossend Castle sitting High
was built from 1119 as the Tower of Kingorne
Wester. The building was later named
Burntisland Castle, then in 1382, named Abbot's
Hall, after becoming home of the Abbot of
Dunfermline. The Castle has changed
ownership many times over the years and been
extended. It is now used as offices for a local
Mary Somerville House
is situated between the High Street and Old
Parish Church, a short walk up Kirkgate, on
Somerville Square. Mary lived here form a child
to young woman. She went on to become a famous
Astronomer. You cannot enter the house, just
read the Plaque above the door.
The Old Parish
Church is situated a short walk up Kirkgate
from the High Street. This Church was built in
1592, one of the first Protestant churches
built in Scotland after the Reformation that
made Catholic worship illegal. The King James
Bible was first discussed at this church.
The Beacon Leisure
Centre is a short walk south of the High
Street by the Beach and vast Links Park. The
Beacon has a Pool with Wave Machine and Flumes,
Fitness Centre, Astro Park, and a Skate Park.
The Beacon opened in 1997, on the site of an
open air bathing pool that closed in 1979.
The vast Links Park is next to the Beacon
with the Erskine Church
overlooking the park. This church was built in
1903 as a Free Church to replace a 1700s Church
of the same name.
Links Park was
granted by Royal Charter in 1541 to the Burgh
of Burntisland by King James V of Scotland.
Highland Games are held at the Park on the
third Monday in July. Beginning in 1652, they
are the second oldest Highland Games in
Scotland, and one of the largest.
A large Fairground is set up at the Links
between May and August every year.
Club, also known as Dodhead Golf Course, is
situated under 1 mile northwest of the Town
centre. The Club was founded in 1897.
The large Pettycur Bay holiday park is
situated about 2 miles north of Burntisland
with a Restaurant and Leisure Centre with sea
views. The holiday park also has an area for
Tourers and Tents.
1100s - the earliest record of Burntisland
is of Monks of Dunfermline Abbey, 11 miles
west, owning the harbour and land around where
Burntisland is today.
1541 - the land here was granted Royal Burgh
status by King James V, after he acquired the
land from Dunfermline Abbey.
The Town grew around the Harbour, becoming
one of the largest and busiest in the area,
used for ferries across the Firth of Forth to
Edinburgh, and for the Herring and Coal
1592 - Burntisland Parish Church, known as
St Columba's, was completed, one of the first
Protestant Churches built after the Reformation
that ended Catholic worship in Scotland. This
is the Church used to discuss a new translation
of the Bible, that became known as the King James
1633 - one of the early wooden sail Ferries
crossing the Firth of Forth sank during a
storm, with the loss of 30 people. This Ferry,
named the Blessing of
Burntisland, is said to have been carrying
Royal Treasure of King Charles I. Divers
continue to this day to try and recover the
Treasure, estimated to be worth £500
1651 - as the English Civil War spread into
Scotland, forces of Oliver Cromwell gained
control of Burntisland and Rossend Castle,
enlarging the Harbour for their needs.
1715 - the Jacobite's
occupied the Town for two months, as they
unsuccessfully tried to have the Stuart's
returned to the throne.
1800s mid - the first of over 50 Modern Coal
Mines opened in the Fife area, producing
vast amounts of coal and providing many
thousands of jobs.
1844 - a new Pier was completed at
Burntisland for a ferry link with Granton
Harbour at Edinburgh.
1847 - the Railway Station was opened at
1850 - the world's first roll-on/roll-off
began operating between Burntisland and
Granton, allowing Trains to be transported
across the Firth of Forth.
1878 - Burntisland Oil
Works opened to mine and process Shale Rock in
the area, at one time employing over 1,000 men.
This early way to produce fuel from Shale was
to mine the rock, then crush it to extract
1890 - the Forth Rail
Bridge opened 8 miles west of Burntisland,
leading to the end of the Rail Ferries.
1894 - the Burntisland Oil Works closed.
1918 - the Burntisland Shipbuilding Company
began operating with it producing ships for the
two World Wars.
1964 - the Forth Road
Bridge opened next to the Rail Bridge,
ending the car/passenger Ferries across the
Firth of Forth.
1969 - the Burntisland
Shipbuilding Company closed with it at one
time employing over 1,000 workers.
2002 - the Longannet Coal Mine closed after
flooding, the last Fife Coal Mine to close,
although Open Cast Mining still goes on.
2000s - Fracking for Shale Gas becomes big
business around the World, with Fife claimed to
be an ideal site for Fracking, with £Billions
of Gas waiting to be recovered from its large
Shale deposits. This new way of producing fuel
from Shale involves pumping liquid down into
the Shale Rock to force the Gas to the surface.
Concerns about water contamination and tremors
from the Fracking, have led to campaigns to
stop Fracking in Fife. Some of the liquid that
cums back up during Fracking, contains some
really harmful Chemicals.