Chapel Finian is the first historic
attraction on this peninsular in Galloway known
as the Machars. The drive around the Machars is
around 45 miles, a full day when visiting the
The image top is of the road running down
the west side of the Machars, a great scenic
The image second top is of the roadside Car
Park at Chapel Finian.
The image third top shows the entrance with
the information board.
Information given is such as: This small
Chapel was named after Finnian of
Movilla (Findbar), a 500s Irish Saint.
The Chapel was built around the 900s,
thought to be for pilgrims on route to Whithorn
Priory, to visit the Shrine of St Ninian. The
site was excavated in 1950.
Chapels of this kind were common in Ireland
by that time, a rectangular room with a south
facing door, built of rough stone and mortar.
The two longer side walls had buttresses.
The site had a dry stone wall around it with
a timber built house for the priest, a well,
397 - Saint Ninian
was a local form Galloway that set up
Christianity in the region after his travels to
Rome, the start of Christianity in