The image top is looking down the long
winding Main Street, with the signs here
pointing to the Whitecairn Holiday &
Camping Park 1 mile north, also with
touring and camping facilities, and the
Three Lochs Holiday
Park 7 miles north, also with fishing,
touring and camping.
Park is situated close to the Village
centre, behind the Crown Hotel in the mature
gardens of the former 1700s Balkail Mansion
of the Ross family.
The Kelvin Hotel is also situated in the
village centre, across the road from the Crown
Hotel. There used to be four hotels in the
village, all within 100 yards of each other on
the Main Street. The Crown Hotel now
mainly serves as a bar.
The image right is of Old Luce Church built
in 1814, close to the Village centre. The
Church is often visited by people on the St
Ninian Pilgrim Journey. The Church was having
the render removed in 2016, not sure if the
original stonework will now be left
The Glenluce Viaduct, completed in 1861, is
situated under half of a mile west of Glenluce,
on the road to Glenluce Abbey. The Viaduct
crosses the Water of Luce and a road with eight
arches, each 42ft wide, and over 50ft high.
The Viaduct was opened in 1861 as part of
the Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railway,
allowing trains to run between London and
Stranraer, with a nightly Irish Mail Service.
The line was closed in 1965.
Glenluce Abbey is siutated just over
1 mile northwest of Glenluce, past the Viaduct.
This Cistercian Monastery was founded around
1190 by Rolland, Lord of Galloway. The Abbey is
popular with people on the St Ninian