logo image

Drymen

RS Home

Drymen is a Village 4 miles southeast of Loch Lomond in Scotland, 18 miles north of Glasgow.

The Village is popular for its Hotels and Inns as is ideally situated to explore the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park.

Drymen Map Large Images
Hotels B&Bs Self Catering
Shops Golf Restaurants

Click on Map for Area Attractions

Camping & Touring Parks in area

The image top is of Drymen Church of Scotland, first building you see when entering from the south, built in 1771 on the site of an earlier Church.

The Buchanan Arms Hotel & Spa is also on the south side of the Village, built from 1763 as an Inn.

The Main Street runs up from the Buchanan Arms past a Cafe, Village Shop, and War Memorial.

The Road to the east side of Loch Lomond is at the War Memorial.

There are Boat Tours on Loch Lomond from Balmaha 4 miles west, Conic Hill at Balmaha, a long Beach 6 miles, and Ben Lomond Mountain 11 miles.

At the Village Square there is the Ptarmigan Bar Diner, part of the Winnock Hotel.

Next door is the Winnock Hotel, built in 1795. This Hotel has been extended to the rear with a more modern building, now with 73 rooms.

At the top of The Square is the Clachan Inn, a Bar Diner with Rooms, operating since 1734, claimed to be the oldest Licensed Pub in Scotland, once run by a sister of Rob Roy MacGregor, the famous Scottish Outlaw.

By The Square is the Drymen Inn, with 6 Guest Rooms and a Restaurant.

The Remains of Buchanan Castle are about 1 mile southwest, on the road into Buchanan Castle Golf Course. The Castle was built in 1858 for James Graham, 4th Duke of Montrose. The roof was removed in 1954 to avoid paying Property Tax, as happened with a lot of Historic Houses at that time in Scotland.

Buchanan Castle Golf Club is about half of a mile past the Castle, opened in 1936, owned by the Duke of Montrose.

Strathendrick Golf Club is also about 1 mile south of Drymen, but on the east side of the Main Road, opened in 1901.

The Devil's Pulpit is a popular large Pool 3 miles south of Drymen on the Carnock Burn, although there is limited car parking in the area.

The east side of Loch Lomond is more remote than the west side, with the road running up through Balmaha, where Conic Hill is situated, and ending at the Rowardennan Hotel and Ben Lomond Mountain 11 miles northwest, where there is also Water Sports.

It is about a 9 mile drive round to the west side of Loch Lomond from Drymen with Loch Lomond Shores being the first Main Attraction on that side

Loch Katrine is 17 miles northeast, popular for Boat Trips and its Cycle Lane around the Loch.

Drymen History

1100s? - there was a motte-and-bailey Castle where the Village of Drymen is today, little remains.

Clan Buchanan became the main Clan in the area around Drymen.

1600s - Clan Buchanan sold their land and Old House to Clan Graham.

1671 - Rob Roy MacGregor was born at Loch Katrine 17 miles northeast of Drymen, becoming a Cattle Drover, Jacobite Soldier, and famous Outlaw.

1700s & 1800s - Drymen was used as a stopover when Drovers were taking Cattle down from the Highlands to central Scotland Markets.

1734 - the Clachan Inn was opened, thought to be the first licensed pub in Scotland, with the first licensee of the Inn claimed to have been Mistress Gow, sister of Rob Roy MacGregor.

1763 - the Buchanan Arms Hotel was opened as an Inn.

1771 - Drymen Church was completed on the site of an earlier Church.

1795 - the Winnock Hotel was opened.

1858 - Buchanan Castle / House was built about 1 mile southwest of Drymen for James Graham, 4th Duke of Montrose. More a Mansion with some Castle features.

1901 - Strathendrick Golf Club was opened about 1 mile south of Drymen.

1925 - the Graham's sold Buchanan Castle with it serving as a Hotel for a short time.

1936 - Buchanan Castle Golf Club was opened on the Grounds of Buchanan Castle.

1940s - Buchanan Castle was used as a Hospital during World War Two.

1941 - the German senior officer Rudolf Hess was held at Buchanan Castle. Hess had been on a secrete mission to the UK when his Aircraft ran out of fuel and he was injured parachuting out.

1954 - the roof of Buchanan Castle was removed to avoid paying Property Tax.

1980 - the West Highland Way walking route between Milngavie at north Glasgow and Fort William was opened, covering 154 km /96 miles, with the first or last stopover being at Drymen.

  RS Home





Drymen Photos