Falkirk is a large town in central
Scotland, 25 miles west of Edinburgh, 23 miles northeast
The main attractions in the Town are
the Old Church in the town centre,
Falkirk Wheel with water
activities on the west side, and on the
east side, Callander House for the
History of Falkirk, Helix Park with a
Boating Pond and Kids Play, and the
Kelpies large Horse Sculptures
by the Canal where it enters the Firth of
See also a large Click On Map for the area Top
The image top is from the east looking up
the High Street towards the Steeple. The Flat
on the left has a plaque stating the famous
Scots poet Robert Burns lodged there in
The second image shows the Steeple at the
Market Square in the town centre. This is where
markets were held 2 days a week. Public
executions were also carried out at the square
with the last hanging in 1828.
The third image is looking west down the
pedestrian only High Street, where most of the
top shops are located.
Falkirk Trinity Church is half way down the
High Street. The first church on this site is
said to have been built in the 600s. A larger
church was built on the site in the 1400s, with
that building extended between 1733 and
The main grave in the Church Cemetery is of
Sir John de Graeme who died at the Battle of
Falkirk in 1298, during the Wars of
Newmarket Street runs parallel to the High
Street where you can view a Boer War Memorial,
and Statue of the Duke of Wellington.
The Falkirk Wheel is on the east side of
the town. This is a Rotating Boat Lift
completed in 2002 to connect the Forth and
Clyde Canal with the Union Canal.
The Union Canal closed in 1933, leading to
the Canals and Lochs being run down. In 2001,
the Canals and Locks were re-opened with the
Falkirk Wheel completed the next year to
replace the 11 Locks needed on this site
before. The Union Canal here runs to
There are a number of water play areas
around the Falkirk Wheel for kids and a large
The Forth Canal runs from Glasgow, through
Falkirk Centre, then out into the Firth of
Forth, where the Kelpies large Horse Sculptures
The metal War Memorial is by the Forth Canal
at Lock 16 on the west side of the Town centre
in the area of Camelon, unveiled in 2016.
Callander House is a mansion built
from the 1400s for the Livingston's on the east
side of Falkirk, now open to the public with a
large museum covering the history of
The Antonine Wall
runs past the house, a wall built by the Romans
in the 2nd Century to try and control Scotland.
Falkirk Antonine Wall Information.
The Helix is a large Park on the east side
of Falkirk opened in 2013 with a large boating
pond, kids fountains, play park, large
grassland, cafe, and wetland walks.
The Kelpies are situated next to The
Helix, large Horse Sculptures where the Forth
Canal enters the Firth of Forth. The Kelpies
were opened to the public in 2014, to designs
of the sculptor Andy Scott, in memory of the
heavy horses that worked on the canals.
AD 140s - the Romans built the Antonine Wall
across central Scotland to try and control the
Scots Tribes. Some of the best preserved
sections of the wall are around Falkirk,
although these are mainly earth mounds.
600s - the earliest parts of Falkirk Trinity
Church were built in the Town centre.
1100s - the Callander Family owned Callander
Estate on the east side of Falkirk, with their
house known as Thanes Hall.
1298 - the Battle of
Falkirk took place during the Scottish Wars
of Independence. It is unclear where the battle
took place. The Scots led by William Wallace
were defeated by a larger English army.
1300s - the Callander's lost their Estate
after supporting Edward Balliol in his battles
with Robert the Bruce.
1345 - Callander lands were granted by King
David II, son of King Robert the Bruce, to Sir
William Livingston, with the Livingston's later
becoming the Earls of Callander.
1400s - the Livingston's built a Tower House
close to Thanes Hall, that would be extended
over the years into the large Callander Mansion
1697 - the first Steeple was built at
Falkirk Market Square to serve as a Tolbooth
and Jail. Public punishments and executions
took place in the Market Square in front of the
1700s - Falkirk was one of the first major
1710 - Falkirk became the major market for
Highland Cattle, taking most of that trade from
further northwest. Cattle from the Highlands
and Island were driven down between August and
October each year to be sold for meat around
Scotland and England.
1746 January - the Battle of Falkirk
Muir was fought between Jacobite's
supporting Charles Edward Stuart and a
Government Army commanded by Lieutenant General
Henry Hawley. The Jacobite's won that battle, but lost
the final Battle at Culloden in April.
1790 - the Forth and Clyde Canal opened,
connecting Glasgow to the Firth of Forth by
Edinburgh, passing through Falkirk.
1803 - the Steeple was demolished after it
began to subside.
1814 - the present day Steeple was built at
43 metres / 141 ft high, with cells in the
1822 - the Union Canal opened connecting
Falkirk to Edinburgh, joining the Forth and
Clyde Canal at Falkirk.
1828 - 18-year-old Francis Cockburn was the
last person to be executed by hanging in front
of the Steeple, after murdering William Burt,
his fellow workman.
1830s - the Railway connected Falkirk to
1876 - Falkirk Football Club was
1927 - the Steeple was hit by lightning,
resulting in the top 30 feet having to be
1933 - the Western end of the Union Canal
closed, ending commercial traffic.
1963 - the Forth and Clyde Canal closed,
leading to the Canals and Locks being
1969 - Alex Ferguson signed for Falkirk
Football Club as a player coach.
2002 - the Falkirk Wheel was completed for a
Project that saw the Canals and Locks opened to
boats once again.
2003 - the new 7,937 all-seater Falkirk
Stadium was completed on the east side of
2013 - the Helix Park was opened on the east
side of Falkirk with a boating pond and kids
2014 - the Kelpies were completed next to
the Helix where the Clyde and Forth Canal
enters the Firth of Forth.