logo image

Highland Folk Museum

RS Home

The Highland Folk Museum is situated on the north side of the Village of Newtonmore in the Highlands of Scotland, 67 miles northwest of Perth, 16 miles south of Aviemore.

The Museum is open 7 days a week, all year round, with a cafe. There is no entrance fee, Donations are encouraged. Postcode: PH20 1AY

Map 23 Large Images Website

Click On Map for area Attractions

Camping & Touring Parks in area

The Image top is of the large Car Park for the Museum.

The second image is of the Cafe and Kids Play.

The next images are of Cottages from the 1700s, with the top one a design used in the Hebridean Islands.

The Museum covers a large area with a Church, Clockmaker's, Joiner’s, Post Office, Sawmill, School, Smoke House, and Sweet Shop.

Down past the Steam Engine and Church is a Woodland Path that leads to Baile Gean Village from the 1700s. This is the top attraction at the Museum as it has been used in Films and TV such as Outlander in 2013.

Baile Gean is a copy of a Village from this area that was abandoned in the 1800s.

Back up through the Woodland Path is the old Curling Pond used by the people of Newtonmore. Curling on Ponds and Lakes began in the 1500s in Scotland, becomming extremely popular with vast crouds.

The first Indoor Rink opened in 1907 at Crossmyloof in Glasgow, with many more soon following, leading to the end of Outdoor Curling.

Back at the Main Section of the Museum is Knockbain School, originaly built by Inverness in 1925. At times, you can have leasons at the School using Dip Pens to test your writing abilities, a craft still used by a few people today, not easy, but impressive when mastered.

The Museum was opened by Dr. Isabel Frances Grant in 1935, on the Isle of Iona. The Museum was moved to Laggan on the Mainland in 1939, to Kingussie in 1944, and finally to Newtonmore in 1987.

  RS Home





Highland Folk Museum Photos