The image top is of from Gordon Street
leading to The Square with the Clock Tower on
the left. The Clock Tower is part of Stewart's
Hall, built from 1875.
The second image is of The Square in the
centre of Huntly. The Fountain was erected in
1882 by the Widow of James Robertson.
The Gordon Arms
Hotel is in the southwest corner of The
Square, built in 1795.
The north end of the Square has a Statue of
Charles Gordon Lennox, fifth Duke of Richmond,
erected in 1862.
Castle Street leads north from The Square to
the War Memorial, at the entrance to Huntly
Just past the War Memorial is the Simpson
Building, part of Gordon Schools, funded by
Elizabeth Brodie, Duchess of Gordon, to honor
her husband George Gordon. This Building was
completed in 1839 to designs of Archibald
Through the Tower Arch by Walking or Car,
takes you into Huntly Castle Park, where there
are vast Playing Fields and Huntly Golf Club, founded in
is about a half mile walk from the entrance,
built from the early 1400s for Clan Gordon.
King Robert the Bruce awarded these lands to
the Gordon's for their support during the First
War of Scottish Independence. The Castle fell
into Ruin in the late 1700s, after being used
by Government Troops during the Jacobite
Risings. The Castle is now preserved to
serve as a Tourist Attraction.
By the Castle is a Kids Play and Shallow
River, a popular area in warm weather.
Also in the Park is the Huntly Nordic and Outdoor Centre, for
a wide range of Outdoor Sports.
Caravan Park is on the west side of the
Park, with Pitches for Tourers and Tents.
Church is a short walk west of the War
Memorial, built in 1834.
1100s - the area of present day Huntly was
known as Strathbogie, with the first Castle
built for Duncan, Earl of Fife.
1300s - David of Strathbogie fought on the
side of the English during the First War of
Scottish Independence, leading to King Robert
the Bruce awarding the Lands and Castle to his
loyal supporters, the Gordon's of Huntly in
Berwickshire, southwest Scotland.