Largo is a Parish in the Fife area of
Scotland, 40 miles north of Edinburgh, 3
miles north of Leven. Largo is made up of three
Villages, Lower Largo, Upper Largo, and Lundin
to the south.
Lower Largo is popular for the Harbour and
Beach with the Crusoe Hotel for meals, and
Robinson Crusoe Statue on the Main Street. The
real life Robinson Crusoe, stranded on an
Island for years, was born in Lower Largo.
The Standing Stones of Lundin are in the
Lundin Ladies Golf Course, and Lundin Beach
runs from Lundin Golf Club 3 miles south to
Leven. Largo is also on the top section of the
Path, north to Elie, St Monans, Pittenweem,
Click On Map for area Attractions
Camping & Touring
Parks in area
The image top is looking over Lower Largo
Harbour to the Crusoe Hotel, with the Beach
running from the Hotel north. The Crusoe Hotel
was originally built in 1824 as a Granary. Soon
after, an Inn was opened at the end of the
Building. The Granary was converted to a Tea
Room in 1920, then to the Crusoe Hotel soon
The Castaway Restaurant in the Crusoe Hotel has a Nautical
Theme, after the Book and Film about Robinson Crusoe
being stranded on an Island for years. The Book
is said to have been based on Alexander
Selkirk, a Sailor from Largo, that was stranded
on an Island for four years from 1704. A Statue
of Selkirk can be found at a House on the Main
Street of Lower Largo.
The second image is looking across the
Harbour to the Railway Inn and Railway Viaduct.
The Viaduct was completed around 1863, allowing
Trains to run between Leven and Anstruther.
This line closed in 1966, with the Viaduct now
expected to be converted to a foot/cycle
The Railway Inn opened in
1749 with its original name hard to find. The
Inn only sellS drinks, popular with Walkers on
the Fife Coastal Path.
Upper Largo is on the Main Coastal Road
running north to Elie, St Monans, Pittenweem,
Anstruther, Crail, Kings Barns, and St Andrews,
one of the most scenic areas in Scotland, with
great Beaches and picturesque Fishing
The main attractions in Upper Largo are the
Parish Church built from 1623, and Upper Largo
Hotel with a Restaurant.
The Standing Stones of
Lundin are situated on the second hole of
Lundin Ladies Golf
Club, top side of the main road running
through Lundin. The Stones are dated to about
the 2nd Millennium BC. There used to be four
Stones, with one said to have been lost around
1792, after Treasure Hunters were involved in
that Stone breaking.
The Lundin Ladies Golf Club was established
in 1891 by the Beach. The Ladies Club moved to
Standing Stanes Park in 1910, with this 9 Hole
Course designed by five times Open Champion,
Club is on the low side of the Main Road by
the Beach, established in 1886.
The Beach by Lundin Golf Club runs three
miles south to Leven. The Fife Coastal Path
runs along side the Beach.
1500s - there was a Settlement by the
Harbour at Lower Largo, probably based around
1820s - a Pier was built at the Harbour for
Fishing Vessels, with about 40 Boats at one
time Fishing for Herring, Haddock, Salmon, and
1821 - a Steam Ferry
Service was operated between Largo and
Newhaven at Edinburgh. This was the best way to
travel between Fife and Edinburgh until the
Railway reached the area in the 1860s.
1800s - Largo produced Linen Cloth from the
Flax Plant, and
Linseed Oil from the Seads of Flax. Flax was
grown in Scotland for centuries, and imported
from Baltic countries from the 1800s.
1800s mid - Fife Coal Mines began producing
vast amounts of Coal, with the Harbour at Lower
Largo used to export some of this Coal.
Making Linen from Flax seemed to reduce
dramatically in the early 1900s, with only one
company in Fife left today, Peter Greig & Co
Ltd of Kirkcaldy.
The Fife Coal Mines closed between the late
1900s and early 2000s, with little evidence
left they ever existed.