Elie and Earlsferry are two Villages, now
joined, in the Fife area of Scotland, 45 miles
north of Edinburgh.
Elie and Earlsferry are popular for their
vast Beach, Watersports, Boat Trips, Beach
Cricket, and Coastal Walks. The top sections of
the Fife Coastal
Path are here, 6 miles north to St Monans,
Pittenweem, and Anstruther, 8
miles south to Largo and Leven.
Click On Map for area Attractions
Camping & Touring Parks in
The image top is looking north along the
High Street in Elie with the Elie Parish Church on the left.
The earliest parts of this Church are from
1639, with the Steeple added in 1726, then the
Main Building was rebuilt in 1831.
The Ship Inn and
Harbour are downhill from the north end of the
High Street. If visiting at a busy time in a
car, best park at the large Car Park out by the
Lighthouse, about one third of a mile walk from
The Beach Bar is across the road from the
Ship Inn with views over the Harbour, Harbour
Beach, Watersports, and Elie Beach Cricket Ground.
Cricket is played from May to September, mainly
Sat & Sun, with games arranged for Low
Watersports are situated at the Harbour
Beach, a great sheltered location for almost
every watersport you can think of, ideal for
learning or experienced visitors.
The Harbour has a Marina and Cafe with
Boat Trips on Elie Sea
Safari Fast RIB to view scenic Fishing Villages
along the coast, and Wildlife such as Seals,
Porpoises, and Dolphins.
Lighthouse is situated at the north end of
Elie, just north of the Harbour with a large
Car Park. There is about a 1 mile walk around
the Headland here for the Lady Jane Anstruther
Tower and the Lighthouse.
The Lighthouse was completed in 1908. Sea
Fishing from the rocks at the Lighthouse is
The Lady Jane Anstruther Tower is situated a
few hundred yards north of the Lighthouse. This
Tower was built in 1760 for Lady Jane to change
in before going for a swim. A bell was rung
when she was swimming so locals would keep
clear, as Lady Jane was a Naturist.
Elie Golf Club
is situated on the south side of Elie where
Elie and Earlsferry join. This Links Course was
founded in 1832.
Club is situated next to Elie Golf Club
with a Nine Hole Golf Course, Putting, Driving
Range, Tennis, Bowls and more.
Chapel Green is on the south side of
Earlsferry. This is where the Ferry ran from in
the 1100s, 7 miles across the Firth of Fourth
to North Berwick. The Earls of Fife set
up the running of the Ferry for Pilgrims
traveling from southeastern Scotland to the
Shrine of Saint Andrew, at the vast St
Andrews Cathedral, 12 miles north.
Records state 15,000 people used the
Earlsferry Ferry in 1413. This trade stopped
after the Reformation in 1560 made Catholic
Worship in Scotland illegal. St Andrews
Cathedral, largest Church ever built in
Scotland, was in ruin by 1561.
Park is situated about 2 miles south of
Elie by a Sandy Bay. The Park has a wide range
of Holiday Homes for hire, also, Touring and
732 - Relics of St Andrew were brought from
Hexham to Fife by Bishop Acca. The Relics were
held at Kilrymont, later renamed St
1070s - St Margaret, wife of King Malcolm
III of Scotland, set up a Ferry Service, 2
miles across the River Forth at North and South
Queensferry, for Pilgrims traveling
north to St Andrews, 41 miles north of
Around the same time, the Earls of Fife, set
up a Ferry Service between North Berwick and
the east coast of Fife, mainly for Pilgrims
traveling between southeast Scotland and St
Andrews, a 7 mile crossing, leaving just 12
miles by road north to St Andrews.
The Village that grew around the East Fife
Ferry Port was named Earlsferry.
There are remains of a small Hostel or
Chapel at Chapel Green in Earlsferry, where
Pilgrims would be welcomed and given
1560 - the Reformation in Scotland made
Catholic Worship illegal, leading to the end of
the Ferry trade for Pilgrims to St Andrews.
The founding of Elie Village is unknown,
only that the Parish Church was built from
1639. The Villages also grew around Fishing,
and the weaving of Linen from Flax.
1832 - Elie Golf Club was founded, one of
the earliest in Scotland.
1850 - Elie's harbour was expanded.
1863 - the Railway reached Elie and
Anstruther 6 miles north, bringing in tourists
for the Beach and Golf.
1870s - regular Steam Ships began visiting
Elie and Earlsferry from North Berwick and
Edinburgh, bringing in more tourists.
1930 - Elie and Earlsferry were officially
1960s - the Railway was closed.
1970s - inexpensive Flights to Spain led to
a dramatic decrease in Tourism to Scotland's
1998 - the first modern home Computers are
sold, leading to vast amounts of information
and images to be found about Scotland's many
2000s - numbers of foreign tourists to
Scotland steadily increase, along with many
Scots exploring the numerous attractions.
2003 - the first sections of the Fife Coastal
Path were opened, leading to an increase in