North Berwick is a Town in southeast
Scotland, 24 miles east of Edinburgh.
North Berwick is popular for the Hike to the
613ft North Berwick Law for great views
over the Town, two Beaches by the Harbour,
Seabird Centre at the
Harbour for information on the Islands that can
be visited by Boat Trips, Old St Andrews Kirk
at the Harbour, Coastal Communities Museum in the town
centre, St Andrews Old Church in the town
Centre, North Berwick Lodge for its Gardens and
Park by the Market Cross, Tantallon
Castle 3 miles southeast, Yellowcraig Beach 3 miles north, and
the National Museum of Flight 6 miles
Click On Map for area Attractions
Touring Parks in area
The image top is of the 613ft high North
Berwick Law Hill that has great views over
North Berwick and area. There is a large car
park at the foot of the Hill, and a Path up
from the Town centre.
The Market Cross is in the centre of the
Town at the end of Quality Street. St Andrews
Old Church is about 100 yards west of the
Cross, Coastal Communities Museum about 200
yards east of the Cross, and North Berwick
Lodge with its Gardens and Park is next to the
Quality Street leads to the Harbour where
there are 2 Beaches, Harbour with Boat Trips to
the Islands, St Andrews Old Kirk, and the
Seabird Centre giving information on the
Islands and Seabirds that use them.
North Berwick History
There is evidence of 18 Hut Circles on the
south side of North Berwick Law dating to about
2,000 years back.
700s? - a Ferry was running between North
Berwick and Earlsferry in Fife for Pilgrims
traveling to St Andrews in Fife.
1100s - North Berwick Harbour was built for
Fishing and the Ferry traveling between North
Berwick and Fife.
1100s - St Andrews Old Kirk was built at
North Berwick Harbour.
1200s - the Earl of Fife, of the Clan
MacDuff, built North Berwick Castle, a Wooden
Motte and Bailey on Castle Hill in the east
side of the Town.
1200s - Dirleton Castle
was built for John De Vaux 2 miles west of
1250 - the Town was recorded as North
Berwick, at a time Berwick on Tweed was named
1306 - North Berwick Castle was taken by the
English during the First War of Scottish
Independence. The Scots retook the Castle after
the Battle of Bannockburn.
1300s mid - the Lauder family, who had a
Castle on Bass Rock, built a Stone Tower on the
site of the original Berwick Castle.
1350 - William Douglas built the earliest
parts of Tantallon Castle 3 miles southeast of
1420 - North Berwick Castle was
1400s - North Berwick became a Royal Burgh
under King James I.
1590 - 1592 - the Auld Kirk Green at the
Harbour was used for North Berwick Witch
Trials, with around 70 people accused.
1591 - the most famous Witch to be
prosecuted at North Berwick was a woman named
Agnes Sampson, accused of causing a Storm at
the time King James VI of Scotland was sailing
from Denmark to Scotland with his new wife,
Anne of Denmark.
King James himself attended the Trial where
Sampson was Tortured till she confessed, then
Burned at the Stake.
1656 - a Storm hit North Berwick, washing
much of St Andrew's Kirk into the sea.
1664 - Old St Andrew's Church was built in
North Berwick town centre. It is now a ruin,
burial place of John Blackadder, a Covenanter
1709 - the Whale Jawbone Arch was erected at
the top of North Berwick Law, probably by
people involved in the Whaling Industry.
1832 - North Berwick Golf Club was
1850 - the Railway reached North
1883 - St Andrew Blackadder Church was built
next to the Old St Andrew's Church.
1800s late - North Berwick became a popular
Holiday Resort and Golf destination. The Town
also became popular with commuters from
Edinburgh and a place to retire.
The Town continues to expand with new homes
built for commuters and people in
The Islands of Fidra, The Lamb,
Bass Rock are
all just a short distance off North Berwick,
popular for Boat Trips that visit the Islands
to view the Sea Birds.