The image top is looking down to Pittenweem
The second image shows the Fishing Boats,
and third Harbour Buildings, a great area for
Photos or Paintings.
There is a Diner and Ice Cream Shop just
south of the Harbour, where there are views
south to St Monans.
Back at the Harbour, Cove Wynd leads up to
the High Street, with St Fillan's Cave on Cove
Wynd. There are Shops on the High Street that
have Keys for the Gate to the Cave. A small
Donation for the Church is needed for a
Saint Fillan was an
Abbot from Fife and Perthshire in the 700s. St
Fillan is said to have been able to heal the
sick, with claims he used this Cave.
The Cave was later used for Smuggling before
being filled in with rubbish and forgotten
about. An excavation was carried out in 1935,
with the cave opened to visitors in 2000.
A short walk up Cove Wynd from the Cave is
the Library and
Next to the Library is the Church of
Scotland, built in 1588. This Church was built
on ground that contained a Priory from 1318.
The Village grew around the Priory, with it
being granted the status of a Royal Burgh in
The Tower at the Church is actually the
Tollbooth from the 1500s, with the Market Cross
at the front of the Tolbooth.
The Tolbooth is known for being used as the
Council Chambers, and as a Jail for Women
accused of being Witches from
the 1500s to early 1700s.
1705 - Janet Cornfoot from Pittenweem,
accused of being a Witch, was dragged by a Mob
to the Harbour where she was hung from a ships
mast while being stoned. She was then taken
down and placed below a door with rocks piled
on top till she was crushed to death.