Tomintoul is a Village leading into
the Speyside area of the Highlands in
Scotland, 14 miles south of Grantown on Spey, 24 miles
north of Ballater, on The Lecht Mountain Road, passing The
Centre at 2,090 feet above sea
Tomintoul is popular for being the
Highest Village in the Highlands at 345m
/1,132ft, the Drive over the Mountains,
The Square, Glenlivet
Estate for Walks/Biking, Corgarff
Castle 10 miles south at Cock Bridge,
and a number of Walks in
See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
Touring Parks in the area.
The image top is of The Square in the Centre
of Tomintoul. The Village was built around the
Square from 1775 for Alexander Gordon, 4th Duke
The Mountain Road here was built by the
Military in the 1750s, a time the Government
was trying to enforce Law and Order throughout
the Highlands, with this area famous for Cattle
Rustling and Illegal Whisky Distilling.
Museum or Tomintoul & Glenlivet Discovery
Centre, is on the west side of The Square, with
Interactive Displays of the History and
Heritage of Tomintoul & Glenlivet Estate.
On the east side of The Square is the
Tomintoul Fountain, built for Robert Gordon in
Tomintoul Fine Art or
Tomintoul Gallery, is on the Main Street at the
north end of The Square. Jane Lannagan produces
a wide range of Original Art and Prints, for
sale at the Gallery or Online.
Church is on the Main Street, opened in
1827, extended in 1900. This was one of many
Churches built around the Highlands at that
time by Thomas Telford
for the Government. People attending Churches
were more likely to lead a Family Life, Pay
Taxes, and not get involved in anything
The Richmond Arms
Hotel is at the north end of The Square,
built around 1898 as a Fishing Lodge.
The long Main Street leads south into the
Mountains where the road climbs up to the
Lecht Ski Centre at
2,090 feet above sea level, 7 miles south,
built from the 1970s. The Ski Centre Cafe/Diner
is open all year round.
1500s - the vast Glenlivet
Estate was acquired by the Gordon's, land
previously owned by the Grants.
1550 - Corgarff Castle
was built for the Elphinstone family 10 miles
south of Tomintoul. This Castle was leased to
the Forbes family, who fought the Gordon's over
1564 - Blairfindy
Castle was completed for the Gordon's on
the Glenlivet Estate, about 6 miles north of
where Tomintoul is today.
1571 - the Gordon's burned Corgarff Castle,
killing 26 Men, Women, and Children.
1594 - the Battle of
Glenlivet took place. The Catholic Earl of
Huntly’s forces of Clans Gordon, Hay, Comyn,
and Cameron, defeated the Protestant Earl of
Argyll’s forces of Clans Campbell, Murry,
Stewart, Forbes, Macgillivray, Maclean, Grant,
and the Chattan Confederation of Clan
1700s - there were about 200 Illegal Whisky
Distilleries operating in the Glenlivet
1746 - the Battle of Culloden ended with
Government Forces defeating the Jacobite's. The
Government then set about building Roads and
Forts throughout the Highlands to keep the area
under control. Many existing Castles were taken
over to serve as Barracks for Government
Most Gordon's fought on the Government side
during the Jacobite Risings, although some
fought with the Jacobite's.
1748 - Corgarff Castle was taken from the
Forbes family as they were accused of
supporting the Jacobite's. The Government then
converted that Castle into Barracks for
Government Troops to control the area.
As well as preventing any more Risings, the
Government Troops were used to prevent Cattle
Rustling, and Illegal Whisky Distilling.
1750s - the Mountain Road was completed by
the Military between Ballater and Grantown on
Spey, passing through Glenlivet Estate, now
known as the Lecht Road, Old Military Road, or
1775 - Alexander Gordon began building
Tomintoul Village, with the Mountain Road
running through the Village. Claims are, part
of the reason he built the Village, was to
clear people off his Estate involved in Illegal
Distilling and Cattle Rustling.
1824 - the Glenlivet Distillery opened,
first Legal Distillery in the area.
1937 - The Crown Estate /
Government and Public owned, acquired the
Glenlivet Estate, now with a number of Walking
and Biking trails.
1970s - the Lecht Ski Centre opened 7 miles
south of Tomintoul.