Braemar is a village in northeast
Scotland, 50 miles north of Perth, 58
miles west of Aberdeen.
Braemar is popular for its Scenic
Village Centre, Golf, Walking, Touring
Park, Cafes, Braemar Castle,
Balmoral Castle 9 miles east,
and Glenshee Ski Centre on
the A93 Road, Highest Road in
Scotland 9 miles south.
See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
Touring Parks in the area.
Braemar Castle is open April to October, and
Balmoral Castle from April to July. The Braemar
Gathering Highland Games are in late August or
There are a number of Walking Routes
around Braemar, from fairly level to the
4,295ft / 1309m Ben Macduie,
second highest mountain in Scotland.
Lairig Ghru is
the top Hill Pass for Walking in Scotland,
running between Braemar and Aviemore, 28
miles through the Cairngorm Mountains.
Fishing on the
Invercauld Estate include on the River Dee for
salmon and trout, and hill lochs for trout.
The image top is of Braemar Caravan and
Camping Park on the south side of the Village.
There are touring pitches, tent pitches, and
The image second top is of the Village
Centre with a good selection of Cafes and
The centre of the village contains the War
Memorial and information about Braemar during
the World Wars. Clunie Water runs past the War
Memorial with an Old Mill now converted to a
Next to the War Memorial is Braemar Church
and The Mews with an Information Centre and
Gallery is situated a short walk from The
Mews, down Mar Road.
The Fife Arms is in
the Village centre. The hotel underwent a vast
refurbishment in 2017/2018, re-opening in the
winter of 2018.
St Margaret's Church
is situated in the Village centre with
interesting information on the History of
Braemar and the Church itself.
The Invercauld Arms
Hotel is on the east side of the
Braemar Cemetery is a few hundred yards east
of Braemar with the 1750 Farquharson Mausoleum
being the most notable part of the
is situated half of a mile east of Braemar. The
Castle seen today was built 1628 for John
Erskine, 18th Earl of Mar, to serve as a
Club is situated on the southwest side of
the Village, 1 mile down past the War Memorial
on the Old Military Road. This is an 18 hole
parkland course that welcomes visitors.
Balmoral Castle is
situated 9 miles east but is only open from
Aril 1st to July 31st.
Braemar originated from two hamlets, one on
each side of Clunie Water named Auchendryne and
Kings had Hunting Lodges in the area from
around the 1100s.
1390 - Kindrochit Castle is built for
Malcolm Drummond at Braemar next to Clunie
Water, where the main Car Park is today in the
village centre. The Castle was built on the
site of a former Hunting Lodge. The ruins can
be visited free of charge.
1628 - Braemar Castle 1 mile east of the
village is built for John Erskine, 18th Earl of
Mar, to serve as a hunting lodge.
1689 - Braemar Castle was attacked and
burned by the Jacobite John Farquharson of
Inverey on his way home from the Battle of
Killiekrankie. Inverey is situated 5 miles
southwest of Braemar.
1715 - the Earl of Mar lead the failed
Jacobite Rising to have the Catholic
Stuart's returned to the throne. This led to
the Crown taking control of Braemar Castle.
The Earl of Mar was often referred to as
Bobbin Jock, as he at times supported the
Jacobite's, and at others the King. Many
landowners would change sides during conflicts,
as being on the loosing side meant the loss of
Only a few on the loosing side ever retained
their Estates by swearing allegiance to the
King, or new King.
1716? - Braemar Castle was bought by John
Farquharson, 9th Laird of Invercauld.
1746 - the Jacobite defeat at the Battle of
Culloden by Inverness 79 miles northwest, ended
the Jacobite Risings.
1748 - Braemar Castle was leased to the
Government to house troops to prevent any more
1831 - Braemar castle was returned to the
1832 - the first Braemar Gathering Highland
Games took place.
These were the first modern day Games as all
Clan Gatherings and the Wearing of Kilts became
an offence in 1746, after the Jacobite
1845 - John Begg builds the Lochnagar Distillery on the Balmoral
Estate, 9 miles east of Braemar.
1848 - Queen Victoria acquired Balmoral
Estate 9 mile east of Braemar.
1849 - Queen Victoria attended the Braemar
1855 - Balmoral Castle was completed for
1870 - the Villages of Auchendryne and
Castleton officially merge to form Braemar.
1881 - Robert Louis Stevenson visits Braemar
and starts to write the book about Pirates and
Gold named Treasure
1930s - Skiing at Glenshee, 9 miles south of
Braemar, began by a few enthusiasts for
1962 - the Glenshee Ski Centre
opened with the Cairnwell Chairlift and Cafe.
It soon grew to the largest Ski Centre in
Scotland with many Lifts and Tows on the three
Mountains over 3,000ft.
1968 - Balmoral Castle was opened to the
public in early summer each year.
2006 - Braemar Castle is leased to local
community to serve as a tourist attraction.
Today - the A93 Road up
from Blairgowrie to Braemar has become
popular for driving as it is the highest road
in Scotland at 670m / 2,199ft, and runs right
through the middle of the Ski Centre with a
popular diner in the moutains.