1530s - Henry VIII ended Catholic worship in
England, leading to Abbeys throughout England
1544 - Dryburgh Abbey was again partially
destroyed after King Henry VIII of England
began sending forces into Scotland to destroy
Abbeys and Castles to try and get the Infant
Mary Queen of Scots to mary his young Son, a
War known as the Rough
1560 - the Scottish Parliament followed
England, ending Catholic worship, leading to
many Cathedrals and Abbey's in Scotland being
Monks were allowed to live out their lives
at the Abbeys that were being run by a
Some Catholic buildings were converted for
use as Protestant Churches, saving them from
1600 June - Commendator of Dryburgh Abbey,
David Erskine, wrote to a relative stating all
the canons had died, end of the Monastery.
1604 - the remaining possessions of Dryburgh
Abbey were taken over by John Erskine, Earl of
1832 September - Sir Walter Scott died at
his Abbotsford Mansion 9 miles west of
Dryburgh Abbey. Scott was buried at Dryburgh
Abbey a few days later.
1845 - a large Baronial House was built next
to Dryburgh Abbey for the family of Lady
Griselle Baillie. No doubt much of the stone
for the House was taken from the Abbey.
1928 - Field Marshal Douglas Haig,
1st Earl Haig, died in London. His body Lay in
State at Westminster Abbey in London, and St
Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh, before being
buried at Dryburgh Abbey.
Haig owned Bemersyde House
3 miles north of Dryburgh Abbey, the historic
home of his family.
1929 - the Baronial House next to the Abbey
was converted to the Dryburgh Abbey Hotel.
Other attractions close by are the:
William Wallace Statue 1 mile north
on the same B6356 road.
Scott's View 2 miles north on the
same B6356 road.
Smailholm Tower 6 miles east off the