Garlieston is situated in Galloway
southwest Scotland, 33 miles southeast of
Stranraer, 61 miles southwest
Garlieston is a small harbour village
created in the mid 1700s by Lord Garlies,
6th Earl of Galloway. Garlieston
See also a large Click On Map for the
area Top Attractions.
The remains of Cruggleton
Castle are situated about 3 miles south, on
rocks high above the sea. This was the seat of
the Earls of Galloway, with the castle being
abandoned in the 1600s.
There is a coastal path from Garlieston to
the castle via Galloway House gardens. Walk
The image top is looking across Garlieston
harbour to the new apartments at the harbour.
The harbour is now mainly used for pleasure
boats and vessels touring the area.
There is also a scenic touring caravan park
at the harbour. View the Caravan Club
The harbour has a large granite stone,
placed here for the 50th anniversary of the
Second World War.
Garlieston played a part in the war with
portable harbour's being built here for the
Normandy landings. There is a notice board at
the harbour, as seen right, showing the work
The village has a bowling green and the
Harbour Inn for
drinks and meals.
Campsite is situated by the village for
tents and tourers, also with a trout
and Estate are situated about 1 miles southwest
The house was completed in the 1740s for
Lord Garlies, sixth Earl of Galloway, and was
once owned by the family of Dewar's Whisky.
The house is private with the gardens open
to the public. Information on holiday cottages
on the estate can be found on the website:
with offraod driving, shooting, archery and
more is situated in Galloway House Estate.
Cruggleton Church is situated about 3
miles south of Garlieston next to the coastal
road. This was the private chapel of Cruggleton
Castle. The castle is a few hundred yards east
of the church, through fields.
1100s - Cruggleton Castle is built for the
Lords of Galloway.
1600s - Cruggleton Castle is abandoned.
1740s - Galloway House is built for Lord
Garlies, 6th Earl of Galloway.
1780s - Garlieston harbour & village are
created for the 6th Earl of Galloway.
1816 - harbour is expanded for local
businesses producing sailcloth, ropes, and
1900s early - the railway reached the
village leading to passenger steamers running
between Garlieston and the Isle of Man.
1930s - the Isle of Man steamers were
withdrawn from service.
1941 - 1944 - Garlieston was used to produce
Harbour's for the D-Day landings in France
during World War Two.
1950s - the railway was closed.
2010 - flats are built at the harbour with
Today - the village attracts tourists
visiting the Whithorn peninsular, also known as
the Machars peninsular, visiting the many