Scone Palace is situated just over 2
miles northeast of Perth centre in a
large country estate. The Palace, Chapel
and Grounds are now top attractions in
Scotland. There is also a cafe and gift
Early Scotland was divided into many
tribal Kingdoms, each with their own
leader. Scone served as the capital of
the Picts Kingdom from as far back as 50
BC. After the king of Scots, Kenneth Mac
Alpin defeated the Picts in the 800s, and
began the process of uniting all Scottish
tribes under one king, most kings were
crowned at Scone. Postcode: PH2 6BD
See also a large Click On
Map for Top Attractions in the area.
The image top is of the large car and bus
park with entrance ticket office.
The image second top is of the east side of
Scone Palace, main entrance. This palace was
built in 1803 for the 3rd Earl of Mansfield,
replacing an earlier Abbey and Abbot's Palace.
You can take a tour of just the grounds and
chapel, or a tour that includes guides showing
you around the main rooms of the palace. The
interior has a number of grand rooms, including
one that holds replicas of the Scottish Crown
Jewels, with the originals being on display at
Scone Chapel sits on Moot Hill about 60
yards east of the palace. This chapel was built
around 1804 to replace an earlier chapel on the
site from around 1604, and buildings from much
earlier. Large Image.
In front of the Chapel is a replica of the
Stone of Scone. The original stone was where
most early Scottish Kings were crowned from the
The stone was taken by King Edward I of
England during the wars between Scotland and
England in 1296. It was then used at
Westminster Abbey in London for the crowning of
English Kings and Queens, later British Kings
The original stone of Scone was returned to
Scotland in 1996, with it now being on display
at Edinburgh Castle.
After the stone was taken in 1296, Scottish
Kings were still crowned at Scone, with the
last being Charles II in 1651.
The booklet you receive when entering gives
a map of the grounds with the main attractions
marked, such as graves, kids play, gardens, and
pavilion with notice boards giving information
on plants and trees imported for the estate
from the 1740s to 1900s.
David Douglas, 1799 - 1834, was born at
Scone village and worked on the estate as a
gardener. He became famous for exploring the
west coasts of the US and Canada, bringing back
over 800 species of plants and trees, including
the mighty Douglas Fir, named after him.
You can view Douglas Firs from the
50 BC - the area of Scone and Perth is part
of the Kingdom of the Picts. Scotland was made
up of about nine Kingdoms at that time.
Scone was the main area of worship for the
Picts, where they crowned their Kings.
839 - the Vikings defeated the Picts in
northern Scotland as they tried to take control
of the country.
848 - Kenneth Mac Alpin defeated the
remaining Picts to become the King of Scots. He
then set about trying to unite all the Scottish
Kingdoms under one king.
The Scots and Vikings fought a series of
battles over the following centuries in a bid
to control Scotland.
1114 - King Alexander I re-established an
Augustinian Priory at Scone.
1163 - Scone Priory was raised to the status
of an Abbey.
1263 - the Battle of Largs in southwest
Scotland sees the Scots of Alexander III defeat
the Vikings, starting the withdrawal of the
Vikings from the Scottish mainland and
1296 - the Stone of Scone is taken by the
forces of King Edward I of England during the
Scottish Wars of Independence. It was then
placed in Westminster Abbey in London for Kings
and Queens to be crowned on it there.
1306 - Robert the Bruce is crowned King of
Scots at Scone, with him regaining independence
for Scotland in 1328.
1400s - Ruthven Castle is built on the
northwest side of Perth for the Ruthven's.
1559 - Scone Abbey was damaged during the
Scottish Reformation by a Protestant mob from
The Abbey was repaired soon after.
1580 - the Ruthven's of Ruthven Castle
gained control of Scone and rebuilt the Abbot's
Palace at the Abbey to serve as their grand
1584 - King James VI charged the Ruthven's
with treason for trying to overthrow him. James
VI then took control of their land and
buildings. Ruthven Castle was re-named Huntingtower Castle around that time.
A number of Ruthven's were executed.
The King gifted the lands of Scone and
Huntingtower to his loyal supporters the
Murray's, who later became the Earls of
1716 - during the first Jacobite uprising,
James Francis Edward Stuart, The Old Pretender,
visited Scone to be crowned King of Scotland.
He fled without being crowned after hearing
Government troops were in the area.
1740s - the Murray's began landscaping Scone
estate with plants and trees brought to
Scotland by early explorers, including the US
1745 - Bonnie Prince Charlie, The Young
Pretender, visited Scone during the last
1803 - 3rd Earl of Mansfield had Scone
Palace built in place of the the Abbot's Palace
1820s - the first Douglas Firs are planted
at Scone, they are still there today at around
200 feet high.
1908 - Perth Racecourse opens on the grounds
of Scone Estate. You can view the racecourse
from the kids play area.
Horse racing began at North Inch park in
Perth in 1613, but had to be moved 2 miles to
Scone after a drinking law ban at North
1950 - Christmas Day - four Scottish
students from the University of Glasgow stole
the Stone of Destiny from Westminster Abbey,
taking it to Arbroath Abbey in Scotland.
1952 - the Stone of Destiny was returned to
1953 - the Stone of Destiny wa used for the
coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
1966 - Lady Mansfield opened Scone Palace to
the public as a tourist attraction.
1996 - the Stone of Destiny was returned to
Scotland, now on show at Edinburgh Castle. The
Stone at Scone Palace is a Replica.
Today - the Mansfield's use Scone Palace as
the family home with much of the palace and
grounds open to the public as a tourist
attraction from March to October.