The image top is looking over the Market
Square and Market Cross. There are a number of
Book Shops around the Square, Cafes, Pub named
the Galloway Bar, and the Craft Bar / Diner
The image right is the Glaisnock Guest
House & Cafe.
Wigtown Town Hall is on the north side of
the Square. This Building was originally the
Wigtown Sheriff Court, built around 1863 in
French Gothic style. The Court closed in 1975,
leading to the Building being used for
The road down past the Tower side of the
Town Hall, leads to Wigtown Parish Church and
the Martyrs Graves.
The War Memorial is outside the Church
The Martyrs Graves are the ones with the
Iron Fence around them.
1685 11th May - the Covenanters William
Johnston, John Milroy and George Walker were
The women Margaret McLachlan 63, and the 18
year old Margaret
Wilson, were tied to a Stake in Wigtown Bay
while the Tide came in. As they refused to
Swear an Oath to the King, both were left to
The Grave Stones give information on these
People and their Executions.
The King was head of English Churches at
this time, with Scotland having Elders as head
of their Churches. Some Kings tried to force
the Scottish Churches to accept the King as
their head, leading to a number of Wars such as
the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, English Civil
War, and Bishops War.
Scottish people of the Presbyterian Faith,
opposed to the King becoming head of their
Churches, were known as Covenanters.
Many Covenanters were Hunted down at this time,
and Executed if they refused to Swear an Oath
to the King.
The image right is of the Martyrs Stake
where the Women were Drowned. The road down
past the Church leads to the Stake. There is
also a Notice Board with information on the
This Stone Stake is in the location of the
original Wooden Stake.