Castle Menzies is situated 32 miles
northwest of Perth, 2 miles west of Aberfeldy.
This Castle was built in the 1500s for Clan
Menzies. It also contains a small museum for
The Castle can be visited 1st April until
end of October, from 10.30 a.m. until 5.00 p.m.
There is an entrance fee. Postcode: PH15
Click On Map for area Attractions
Camping & Touring Parks in
The Image top is from the long drive into
Castle Menzies. Large
The tour starts at the Old Kitchen and
The Video Room gives information on the
Castle and the Menzies Clan.
You can just wander around the Castle
viewing rooms over three floors with many
notice boards giving information on each
Castle Menzies History
1100s - the Menzies are believed to have
moved from Mesnieres in Normandy /France to
Scotland during the reign of King David I. The
Scots encouraged French families known for
their military skills to relocate.
The first Menzies were granted lands in
Lothian and Atholl.
1100s - Sir Alexander Menzies gained land at
Aberfeldy and Weem.
1100s - Menzies had a Tower House known as
built about 4 miles east of where Castle
Menzies stands today.
1300s early - the Menzies supported Robert
the Bruce during the first War of Scottish
Independence. After Bruce officially became
King of Independent Scotland in 1326, the
Menzies gaining more land and wealth.
1487 - Comrie Castle was ruined by fire.
1488 - Sir Robert Menzies, 11th Baron
Menzies, built Weem Castle
close to where Castle Menzies is today.
1502 - Nigel Stewart of Garth Castle, 6
miles west, took Sir Robert Menzies prisoner
and set fire to Weem Castle.
Stewart threatened to kill Menzies unless he
signed some of his lands over to him. Stewart
avoided execution for that crime, but was
imprisoned in Garth Castle after being accused
of murdering his wife Mariota. Stewart remained
a prisoner until his death in 1554.
Neighbouring Clans in Scotland were
regularly fighting over land and cattle. This
is why they lived in this size of family
Castle, not to try and hold back a massive
English army, just to prevent their neighbour's
from murdering them in the night. Some disputes
are known to have lasted around 500 years.
Marriage was often used to end long running
Only a few of the larger fortress Castles in
Scotland such as Stirling and Edinburgh had a chance of holding
back the huge English armies.
1500s - Castle Menzies was built for the
Clan Menzies, close to the ruins of Weem
Castle. Much of the stonework from Weem Castle
would have been used to built Castle
1689 - the Catholic King James II Stuart was
overthrown by his Protestant daughter Mary and
her husband to be William, who became Mary II
and William II. James was the last Catholic
Monarch in Britain. This started the Jacobite
Clan Menzies often supported the Jacobite
Risings, trying to have the Catholic Stuart's
returned to the throne.
1715 - Jacobite forces used Castle Menzies
in the Second Jacobite Rising.
1733 - General Wade built the Military
Bridge at Aberfeldy to help Government Troops
to patrol the area. These Troops were given the
task of preventing Highland Clans from
revolting against Kings.
1740 - the Black Watch regiment was set up
at Aberfeldy. This regiment played a major role
in putting down revolts, becoming one of the
most famous regiments in the history of
1746 - Prince Charlie stayed at Castle
Menzies for 2 nights during the Third Jacobite
Rising. A few days later, he was defeated at
the Battle of Culloden, the last Jacobite battle. Castle Menzies was
then taken over to house Government Troops.
1780s on - the surgeon, botanist and
Menzies takes part in world explorations,
including on the ship HMS Discovery. He was
credited with discovering a number of
This was a time landowners were keen to have
exotic plants and trees from around the world
planted on their estates.
1840 - a new west wing was added to Menzies
1910 - Sir Neil Menzies died without leaving
1914 - the Menzies estates were sold at
auctioned by trustees. The Castle fell into
ruin after this time.
1957 - Castle Menzies was bought by the
Menzies Clan Society for restoration to serve
as a Museum.
1972 - extensive restoration work was
carried out over the following years.
1990 - the West Wing was restored.
1993 - ownership of the Castle, Walled
Garden, and the Menzies Mausoleum in the Old
Kirk of Weem were transferred to the Menzies
Many of the Menzies are buried at the Old
Kirk of Weem.
1995 - the first Menzies Clan Society dinner
was held at the Castle.
2011 - the Clan MacGregor Room was opened at
Menzies Castle, giving information on this
other prominent Clan from the area, with
MacGregor being the most famous of this