1502 - Nigel Stewart of Garth destroyed Weem
Castle in a dispute over the lands of
1500s - Castle Menzies was built for the
Clan Menzies about 2 miles west of
1733 - General Wade built the Military
Bridge at Aberfeldy to allow Government Troops
to patrol the area in an attempt to keep the
Highland Clans from revolting against the
1740 - the Black Watch regiment was set up
at Aberfeldy, becoming one of the most notable
regiments in the history of Scotland.
1746 - Prince Charlie stayed at Castle
Menzies for 2 nights just before he was
defeated at the Battle of
Culloden, the last Jacobite battle.
1787 - the poet Robert Burns
toured the Scottish Highlands with his friend
William Nicol, visiting Aberfeldy. Burns wrote
the poem The Birks of
Aberfeldy about the Waterfalls by the
1825 - the Aberfeldy Water Mill opened to
1869 - the Breadalbane Cricket Club was
founded in 1869, they play at Victoria Park in
1885 - the Water Fountain in The Square at
Aberfeldy was built.
1887 - the Black Watch Memorial was
completed next to the Military Bridge in
1895 - Aberfeldy Golf Club was founded.
1896 - Dewar's Aberfeldy Distillery was
opened 1 mile east of Aberfeldy.
1957 - Castle Menzies was restored by the
Menzies Clan Society to serve as a Museum.
1983 - the Aberfeldy Watermill was converted
to a heritage site.
2000 - the Dewar's World of Whisky visitor
2005 - the Aberfeldy Watermill had a
Bookshop, Shop, Art Gallery, and Cafe