The image top is of the Visitor Centre at
the top of King Street at a large grassland
with car parking. This area also has the large
Wallets Marts cattle
market and a number of Hotels and Inns for bar
The image second top is looking down King
Street from the Visitor Centre. This is a busy
street with a good selection of local
The Imperial Hotel is situated at the top of
King Street by the Visitor Centre.
The lower side of King Street is dominated
by the clock tower.
The Kings Arms Hotel sits on the corner of
St Andrew Street and Queen Street.
The Town Clock Tower was built in 1935 of
local granite from the neighbouring town of
Dalbeattie, and hard red sandstone
from the Dumfries area. These are the two types
of stone that were quarried in Dumfries and
Galloway to be sold for the construction of
expensive buildings all over the UK and
The Town Hall is situated on St Andrew
Street by the Clock Tower, built in 1863. The
red sandstone on this building shows why it was
so sought after, 150 yeas later and it is like
the day it was built. Red sandstone from many
other areas was known to be soft and prone to
erosion. The hall is used for many events
throughout the year.
St John the Evangelist Church was built in
1868, by the Town Hall. This is one of 5
churches in the town, with the St Andrews
Church converted to the Fullarton Theatre in 1992. The
theatre website lists films and events.
The Fullarton Theatre is situated on the
south side of the town by the scenic Carlingwark Park
& Loch, with a popular walk around the
The Castle Douglas Golf
Club is situated right next to the north
side of the town. This a a tree lined 9 hole
parks course that welcomes visitors.
Threave House and Gardens are
situated 1 and a half miles southwest of Castle
Douglas. The gardens are real popular with
cafes, gift shop, and there are tours of the
Threave Castle is situated about 2
miles southwest of Castle Douglas. This is a
popular attraction with a half mile walk out to
the castle, then a boat trip to cross a
There are a number of birds of prey nesting
in the castle, and in the trees by the
Castle Douglas History
70 AD - the first Roman fort is built to the
north of Castle Douglas by the Roman general
Gnaeus Julius Agricola as he set about trying
to take control of Scotland.
142 - the Roman fort at Castle Douglas was
rebuilt as the Romans tried a second time to
take control of Scotland.
162 - the Romans withdrew from Scotland
behind Hadrian's Wall along the north of
1370s - Threave Castle is built for
Archibald the Grim, 3rd Earl of Douglas.
1745 - General Wade built a military road
through Galloway after the Jacobite rising of
that year, allowing more trade in the area.
The road ran from northern England to the
port towns of Portpatrick and Stranraer on
the west coast, leading to a trade route with