St Johns Town of Dalry Village is in
Dumfries & Galloway southwest Scotland, 33
miles southeast of Ayr, 16 miles
northwest of Castle Douglas, 26 miles
northwest of Dumfries on the A713 road.
St Johns Town of Dalry attracts visitors for
Outdoor Attractions, Walking and Hiking with
the 2,671ft Corserine
Mountain on the Rhinns of Kells range 3 miles
north. There are 10 Mountains on that range
The 212 mile long Southern Upland
Way Walking Route passes through the
Village, with many Walkers using the Inn, Hotel
Click On Map
for area Attractions
Camping & Touring Parks in
The image top is looking down the Main
Street to the Village centre.
The Village centre has the Bank, Clachan
Inn, Village Hall and Church.
The Clachan Inn is popular
for good Beer, Food and Accommodation.
The War Memorial is at the bottom of the
Main Street at the entrance to Dalry
St John's Town of Dalry Parish Church was
completed in 1832. The Church sits high above
the Graveyard, a very scenic spot. This Church
contains remains of an earlier Church from
The Lochinvar Hotel is at the south side of
the Village by the Church. The Hotel offers
Drinks, Meals, Accommodation and Walking
breaks. This Hotel used to have Ivy all over
the front, Green in Summer and Red in Winter.
The Ivy was removed in 2016?
The Kids Play area is at the School on the
south side of the Village. The Metal Sculpture
at the Kids Play is in honour of Covenanters
from the area that were Executed in the
The Rhinns of Kells Mountain Range is in the
Forest Estate 3 miles north of Dalry. There are
a number of routes to hike this Mountain, or
down the whole Range crossing 10 Mountains.
Down the whole Range is a real Challenging
St Johns Town of Dalry History
Remains of Neolithic Cairns, Bronze Age
Circles, and Iron Age Hillforts can be found in
1200s - the Village grew with trade from
Pilgrims traveling between Edinburgh and
Church at Whithorn, the first Christian
Church in Scotland.
Hospitaller of the Order of St John owned
much of the land around Dalry at that time, why
the Village name is St Johns Town of Dalry.
1546 - the first modern Church is
1637 - Charles I forced a new prayer book on
Scots, leading to some Scots rebelling. These
Scots were known as Covenanters, many from the
1680 - The Killing
Time began after troops of Charles II began
hunting down and Executing Covenanters.
1700s - the Settlement here was enlarged to
plans of the Earl of Galloway.
1700s - the Lochinver Hotel was built as a
Coaching Inn on the road between Castle Douglas
1832 - the present day Church is completed
to replace the earlier Church.
1930s - the Galloway Hydroelectric Power
Scheme was built connecting about seven Lochs
down the Valley.
The highest loch is Loch Enoch at about 1600
feet, next to the 2,766ft Merrick
Mountain. Water flows from there through other
lochs including Loch Doon at
The water then runs down past Carsphairn
and other Lochs with Hydro Plants on the north
side of Dalry.
1970s - large areas were planted with fast
growing Spruce Trees for the Timber Industry,
now known as the Galloway Forest Park.
Many Sheep Farms were used for Tree Growing
at that time.
Part of the Forest agreement was, the Forest
Commission would Maintain Paths onto the
Mountains, and look after Historic Attractions
in the Area.
1984 - the 212 mile long Coast to Coast
Southern Upland Way Walking Route opened,
passing through Dalry.
2004 - the Covenanters Sculpture was erected
2010s - much of the Galloway Forest Park
starts to to be cut down for Timber. Most of
the areas cut down are being re-planted.