Newton Stewart town is in Galloway southwest
Scotland, 24 miles east of Stranraer, 48
miles west of Dumfries, just off the main A75
Newton Stewart attracts visitors for its
local shops, golf and three outdoor centre's
Clatteringcshaws, Glentrool and
Kirroughtree close by for walking,
biking, and hiking mountains such as The Merrick at
2,766 feet. This area is known as the Galloway
Click On Map
for area Attractions
Camping & Touring Parks in
The image top is looking north along
Victoria Street with the Town Hall the most
The Cinema is on
Victoria Street showing films and also live
events. The cinema was built in the 1920s.
The Old Town Hall was completed about 1800
with shops on the ground floor and a court on
the first floor.
The Earl of Galloway Memorial was completed
in 1875 in honour of the Ninth Earl of
Galloway (1800 - 1873).
The River Cree Bridge was completed in
The McMillan Hall was completed in 1884 to
serve as a Theatre and to host Local Events
such a the Flower Show.
The War Memorial is in front of the McMillan
Hall at Church Street.
The Newton Stewart
Museum is along Church Street on York Road
with displays of the natural and social history
of Galloway. The museum is housed in the the
former St John's Church completed in 1841.
On the south side of Newton Stewart is
Wigtown Road with the Cattle Market, Garden
Centre and three Hotels, the Crown, Bruce, and Blackhorse.
The tree lined Newton Stewart Golf
Club is on the east side of the town with a
licensed bar and restaurant.
Newton Stewart History
1600s mid - the Town of Newton Stewart was
founded by William Stewart, youngest son of the
2nd Earl of Galloway.
The Town was recorded as being built
1677 - the "New Town of Stewart" was granted
Burgh status by King Charles II, starting a
weekly Market and two annual Fairs.
1745 - the first Bridge across the River
Cree is built in the Town.
1760s - the Military Road from England to
Dumfries and Portpatrick passed through Newton
The Military Road was then used to drive
cattle from Ireland between Portpatrick
on the west coast of Scotland to Dumfries.
1778 - Sir William Douglas, the founder of
the town of Castle Douglas, gained control of
Castle Stewart estate.
Sir William Douglas changed the name of the
Town to Newton Douglas and started Factories
Spinning Cotton, manufacturing Carpets, and a
The name Newton Douglas was soon changed to
1806 - the original Bridge is destroyed in a
1813 - the present day Bridge is
1978 - a Bypass was completed on the A75
road reducing traffic through the Town.
The east side of the River Cree is known as
Minnigaff. A settlement is believed to have
been in the Minnigaff area in the 1200s, where
a Ford is close to the present day Bridge.
Today - Newton Stewart serves the farming
community with a large Cattle Market on the
south side. The Market is normally for Sheep on
Wednesday and Cattle on Friday.
The Area is popular for its outdoor
attractions such Mountains, Biking / Walking
centre's, and the 18 mile long A712 Queens Way
road between Newton Stewart and New
Galloway with a Viewing Platform over a
Glen, Hill Monument, Waterfalls, Deer Park,
Goat Park, Dam, Robert the Bruce Battle Site,
and scenic Otter Pool. Queens Way